120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers (excellent sound)
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

Old 09-11-1999, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vented or sealed... hrm

i have a pair of Paradigm's at home Mk11se3's and they have very tight and loud bass and lo and behold, they're ported.

If its cheap and its ported, it probably wasn't done right. You can't just stick a part anywhere you want and sadly most of the ppl trying to sell me their junk can't hear the problems with their equipment.
I'm over at Best buy (not the best place to buy equipment if you need help) checking out a pre-fab ported enclosure and the guy turns it up a bit. "Uhh, that sounds horrible."
Him: "We haven't had time to set it up correctly yet."
Me: aside to my brother, "do you hear the port noise?"
Bro: "What port noise?"
Me: "The damn wooshing from the ports that increases along with the bass volume."
Salesman: Peers at box. puts head closer. Twists up face. Its obvious he has no clue what the hell i'm talking about.
Me: "Bah." I walk off.

He suggested I trim the tubes.
Almost as helpful as using an eq. instead of fixing the environment, you "fix" the source to make up for deficiencies in either the environment or your system. How many ppl do you know that turn their bass controls up cause the system or env isn't setup with the correct amnt of bass? Almost everyone I know to the point of adding distortion that they can't hear cause they've never heard a system without the distortion so they think its supposed to be there. sigh.

Old 09-11-1999, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

I must agree most prefab ported boxes are incorrectly tuned.
That goes for many home speakers also.
A way to tell if it is even close is to cover the port.
With the port covered there should be a dramatic drop in deep bass response.
If you can't tell much difference it's probably improperly tuned.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L reg cab
4x2 120" Wheelbase
4 wheel disc brakes/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador Red/Silver
3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)
Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp for components.
Jensen 50x2 RMS for subs.
2 6.5" Bazooka tubes
Lowering shackles?

Old 10-04-1999, 05:41 PM
FYI...I had a '97 regularcab F150 and had 2 JL 10W6's in custom sealed boxes, one behind each seat. those speakers are dual 6 ohm voice coils. I powered them with a Soundstream 3.0 wired mono. Sounded great but didn't hit as hard as they could due to the small box size. I can get box size info if anyone wants it with pictures. Because of the limited space sealed boxes are the way to go but vented will always be louder if you have the room. I have since bought a '99 superduty supercab and am building a push/pull 4th order band pass box that i will have sitting on my back seat and can pull out easily if i have passengers. The advantaged of bandpass enclosures is you can have less power per db on average, and with good components you can blow the windows out if you want.

------------------
1999 F250 SuperDuty, XLT, PSD, supercab, shortbox, 4X4offroad, 3.73 limitedslip, 4R100 with PTO, power TT mirrors, Clarion CD/DSP, soundstream/PPI amps, JL/Boston speakers, and...

[This message has been edited by SDF250_mn (edited 10-04-1999).]

Old 10-04-1999, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I want regcab box info.
54regcab@duesouth.net

Old 10-11-1999, 03:18 PM
SDF250_mn, How are you doing that 4th order box? I haven't kept up with all the different designs since my buddy and I took fourth place at IASCA nationals back in 90. This one had 2 Lanzar 18" in a seventh order enclosure. Good for 142 dB with 1000 watts RMS power. I'm thinking of this same type of enclosure with 8's to fit inside the center console (99 S/C, captains seats). Thanks in advance.

Barrett

Old 10-11-1999, 08:14 PM
I haven't done the design yet but i am going to make is so i just set it on the back seat and can pull it out easily if i want.

------------------
1999 F250 SuperDuty, XLT, PSD, supercab, shortbox, 4X4offroad, 3.73 limitedslip, 4R100 with PTO, power TT mirrors, Clarion CD/DSP, soundstream/PPI amps, JL/Boston speakers, and...

Quick Reply: Sub boxes Vented or Sealed?