2 way or 3 ways for stock system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 way or 3 ways for stock system?

I am only upgrading the speakers on a stock system.

Do I want to install 2 ways or 3 ways?

Old 11-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Best thing to do is go and really listen to all the speakers you are considering. Bring in a disc of music that you regularly listen to and make your decision from there. I have heard some 3 ways that sounded absolutely terrible and I have heard some that sound great. In my search for the speaker that fit me, I ended up choosing Boston Acoustic 5X7's. These are 2 way speakers but definitely have a sweet sweet sound!

Just my $.02

What speakers are you considering?

Old 11-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Not a clue

I have been swimming around this forum and the general opinion is that the stockers suck. So I figure, If I can spend a $100.00 or so and gain some better sound...Its worth it.

There is a remote possibility that I will add an amp, HU ect...down the road.

I want to add an exhaust, FIPK and some lights first. I am hoping for a overtime snowfall winter.....

Old 11-19-2003, 06:11 PM
The facts are that there are dozens of 2 and 3-way speakers made by "name" companies. Simply being a 3-way doesn't necessarily make it better than a 2-way. There are a lot of things involved, BUT these types of drop-in replacement speakers are notorious for having poor crossovers. If you pay $100/pair for "name brand" 2 -ways, they will almost certainly sound better than stock, but be realistic and have fair expectations. You may be surprised. The difference will NOT be staggering with the stock system. If you plan to add amps and subs in the future, my recommendation is to buy the best quality you can afford in the speakers and go from there.

Old 11-20-2003, 01:53 AM
I have to agree whole heartedly with 97 on this. However there has been one very crucial and I feel EXTREMELY IMPORTANT thing left out. If you are in fact going to replace the factory speakers with a 2 or 3 way of decent to upper end quality. Be sure that you spend an extra $20-30 on dynamat or some other self-adhesive style or spray on sound deadener. It will make a world of difference in the bass response you get from the stock locations.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:15 AM
Thanks Guys

Old 11-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Good point, Chris. A big YES on the sound deadener. It can be like free additional power in the sense that you can gain some output in db for the listener.

Quick Reply: 2 way or 3 ways for stock system?