Need help with sub Ohms

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with sub Ohms

I have purchased a Rockford Fosgate 301m that produces 300 watts bridged. I will be using this to power 1 10inch sub in a supercrew sounds box. I have been looking at the kicker CompVR10's for the set up. Question is, do I get the speaker with dual 2-ohm or the speaker with dual 4-ohm voice coils. The amp is rated at 150 RMS at 4 ohms and 300 RMS at 2 ohms. However, I have been told that I need to go with the 4 ohm and run the voice coils parallel for more power. Please help me out b/c I need to make an order.

Also, if there is a better 10 inch sub that would hit harder for aboutt he same $, please let me know

Thanks
Michael

Old 11-07-2003, 06:34 AM
You will need the dual 4 ohm. You can wire it to 2 ohm or 8 ohm load. The dual 2 ohm will not let you use the full power of your amp.

Old 11-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Michael, Remember this, If you bridge the amp it should be used with a 4 ohm configuration. A 2 channel amp that is "safe" into 2 ohms IN 2 CHANNEL USE can be used safely into 4 ohms WHEN BRIDGED. The amp works differently when bridged and shouldn't be used the same as 2 channel operation, as far as ohms are concerned. You can certainly use this amp with a 2 ohm load when bridged, but you will shorten it's lifespan, more than likely. It may last for years, it may not. Depends on how you use it. It's just something you need to be aware of. So, if you do bridge the amp, get the dual 2 ohm sub and run it at 4 ohms. But you do not have to bridge. Run a 2 ohm set-up and use 1 channel of the amp, unbridged. Your amp will run cooler, and the power will be the same as a bridged, 4 ohm set-up. The bass is recorded mono anyway, so it won't make a difference in sound. This isn't that common because you're more or less "wasting" a channel of the amp by not using it. You could use another 2 ohm sub on the other channel, if you had the room for the sub. Bridging amps is highly overrated. If you want to go that route, buy a mono amp specifically suited for sub use that is safe into 2 or even 1 ohm.

Old 11-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Here is the info on the amp

Rockford Fosgate Punch 301M 150W x 1 Car Amplifier
Get $25 off when you add a wiring kit and capacitor to your order!
300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms • variable low-pass crossover • preamp outputs • selectable Punch Bass

The consensus seems to be get the dual 4 ohm sub

Old 11-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Michael, Disregard what I said about bridging. I didn't realize the amp was a mono design. I should have known from the M designation in the model. Definitely use the dual 4 ohm sub and run it at 2 ohms.

Quick Reply: Need help with sub Ohms