I have a 2004 Ford F-150 4.6L 2 valve XL. Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2004 Ford F-150 4.6L 2 valve XL. Stalling

The F-150 is stalling at lights and also while driving. if driving lets say on the highway, It starts to Bog down PAT's light comes on solid. Like the ignition cuts. but because it is rolling seems like Automatic transmission allows to 'Push Start like a Standard Trans. It has new ford Plugs and I put Accell Super Coils in it. A new Fuel filter, new air filter. Starting to do it more often. I have heard a noise under the hood for a few seconds and goes away sometimes ( don't know what the noise might be, maybe afraid to find out! ). I have put my scan tool on it. It is a Craftsman 20899 it shows fuel pressure and the O2 sensor and mixture data. I am no expert. I think the reported fuel pressure was about 35-40 PSI. Right now I am waiting for drive cycle to get over with. I had replaced a fuel Filter and forgot to reconnect the electrical connector for it before I started it. of course it threw a code letting me know. I erase the code and all of drive cycle tests are done except the EVA one. hard to get rid of the code with it keeping on stalling so often. Truck has 93,000 miles on it.

Last edited by bsigsbury; 11-19-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: wanted to add some more info
Old 11-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Is it new body style or heritage?

Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 PM
It is the New Body Style, Supercab with 6 1\2 bed. I have only had it for 4,000 miles

Old 11-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
OK. Check the FPDM for corrosion and or cracks.

It's location is under the truck, around the spare tire area.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 PM
I did buy one of those from Rock Auto and replaced it about 2 months ago when the problem first started. I forgot to mention it. the old was badly corroded and probably original. It was mount tight to the frame. the new one had standoff bolts to raise it from the frame a little. the problem has gotten steadily worse. took it for a ride 15 miles each may it stalled maybe 20 times. some of times i was on the highway if I apply the gas pedal after it bogs down it seems to start again or recover. The Pats light comes on when it starts to bog down. apply gas pedal and it usually recovers. It will start back up in neutral or Park,

Old 11-19-2018, 02:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Probably not the reason for your issue, but Accel coils are not very good. We recommend only Motorcraft, Denso, or Delphi.

If the PATS light is coming on, you have a problem in the PATS system, such as a damaged transducer or key.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Next time I will definitely buy better Coils. I have since found much better pricing on Motorcraft. I was looking at $80- $ 100 a piece. now I have seen them for much less if you buy all 8.
I did put Motorcraft plugs in however.
I do have two keys seem to be original equipment. I even used them off the key ring so there was no weight on the key lock mechanism. Used both Didn't make a difference.
The column shift cable had to be replaced a month ago. It melted at the exhaust manifold and made the shifter useless. Ford has then too close to it. I put a new on in myself. I have a tilting column.
I was worried i may have pinched a wire or something. I will have to look. The issue existed before I took the column apart to install the Automatic shift Cable.
There May be an issue with the O/D button or wiring that it is attached to. If I shut the O/D button off on the shift lever and the wording on dash says it is off but as I drive it come back on again and I don't touch the button?
I will put a meter on it and look at the wiring in the column for issues.
If its in the PAT's system i dont know what to do!? Dealer I guess. Did some research there is an Ignition Pulsator Ring that I could replace without having a Ford IDS scantool to reprogram Keys Ect.
Turning into quite the science experiment! ;(

Old 11-20-2018, 12:52 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I would strongly suggest taking it to a Ford dealer and have it fixed. Don't be surprised if it's the throttle body. There is no connection between your foot and the throttle body- it's all computerized. There were a lot of issues with the 2004 4.6 trucks with throttle bodies going crazy. Mine tried to kill me twice by going flat out at a train crossing. Replaced it under warranty and never had anymore problems. But the dealership should have lots of folks on hand that know these things like you know how to eat. Otherwise, all you're doing is throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply: I have a 2004 Ford F-150 4.6L 2 valve XL. Stalling