2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Maintenance heads up on 12th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance heads up on 12th gen

I read awhile back about cleaning out the crap behind the front wheel well liner, and figured since I was already Fluid Filming other parts of the truck, I'd check out that area.
Glad I did, I must have removed a good 2-3# of basically moist compost. Dug out as much as I could, then took a hose and washed out the rest, let it dry, then fluid filmed from the top of the fender all the way down to where I dug all the crap out.
First photo is the wedge shaped hole in the engine compartment where leaves and other junk fall down into the void behind the liner.
Don't forget winter ain't that far away, clean and rust proof that area.

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance heads up on 12th gen-p1000081.jpg   Maintenance heads up on 12th gen-p1000079.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's good to know. When I change out my wheels/tires for winter I'll pull those liners back.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johnday
I read awhile back about cleaning out the crap behind the front wheel well liner, and figured since I was already Fluid Filming other parts of the truck, I'd check out that area.
Glad I did, I must have removed a good 2-3# of basically moist compost. Dug out as much as I could, then took a hose and washed out the rest, let it dry, then fluid filmed from the top of the fender all the way down to where I dug all the crap out.
First photo is the wedge shaped hole in the engine compartment where leaves and other junk fall down into the void behind the liner.
Don't forget winter ain't that far away, clean and rust proof that area.
And to think of all the people that called me crazy when I started rinsing out that area on my 72 Ranchero back in 1979

Old 07-29-2017, 12:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good catch. I recall there was a area under the bed of '04/'08s that held gunk up high on the panel. Luckily I don't daily my truck but I completely am into keeping it protected against elements.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another area Ford fell down on was the front of the drivers side inner fender. I was swapping out my air filter one day and couldn't figure out why I had so much mud in the lower air box. I cleaned it out and made a filler piece to block the orifice where mud was being blown into that cavity by the front tire.