Sway bar Link Bolt SNAP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad that i found this thread. Mine has been broke a few weeks ago and i was wondering if i could just get an upgrade of sway bar link but it looks like there is none. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by rockercar; 02-22-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by rockercar
I'm glad that i found this thread. Mine has been broke a few weeks ago and i was wondering if i could just get an upgrade of sway bar link but it looks like there is none. Thanks for the info.
hey man i have the upgraded set of my truck from when it was stock height i was looking to sell since im not using them, if you want em.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
hey man i have the upgraded set of my truck from when it was stock height i was looking to sell since im not using them, if you want em.
Really. can you pm me, for more details? thanks

Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by rockercar
Really. can you pm me, for more details? thanks
you dont have pm's set up but email me at thejake1989@gmail.com and well work it out

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Drivers side sway bar snapped.

Everytime i would come off of my driveway(maybe a half a foot drop curve) i would hear an odd noise in the front. It was my driver side sway bar link snapped and was gone. I have been driving around for the past probably 5-6 months and have had no problem with it. Even offroading, it has no effect. Does anyone know which way it works, which way shouldnt i turn hard? Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It doesn't matter which way you turn. As soon as one of the links snaps the bar no longer works.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 AM
I had this happen to my 2001 F-150 supercrew a few years back, i had noticed a noise and it took me a while to figure out what it actually was. my bolt was completly gone because i'd drove on it for so long

Old 02-21-2011, 02:16 AM
My truck has had a slight lean to the passenger side since I got it 2 years ago.

It's a 2003 4x4 F150 XLT Supercab with a 5.4. I'm not a mechanic, but I do simple stuff.

Brakes, alternator, wheel hub assembly.

On Friday, I decided to take the truck in to have looked at to see what it would take to fix the lean. They were too busy to do any work, but they said they could look at it. The mecahnic didn't take the wheels off but put it on the lift. I'm not remembering exactly what he said, but he said that the level could be adjusted. He also said that I had a bad wheel bearing on the side it was leaning towards and that would need to be fixed before the lean could be fixed. I told him that I would fix the wheel bearing over the weekend. I was surprised about the wheelbearing, because there was no noise. I've never replaced one without it first making noise.

Also, the tire pressure was very low on that side. He filled up the tires. I have lifetime protection on the tires so I went to Discount Tire to have it fixed. Turned out the rim was cracked. Replacement for that comes on Tuesday.

In any case, I replaced the wheel bearing on Saturday and slapped some new breakpads in. When I did this, I was seeing this rod that went across to the other side. It wasn't connected on either side. I was confused by this. I didn't remember my 97 F-150 having a bar that connected to nothing. Been doing lots of searching and found that it is the sway bar, or as some searches call it the anti sway bar.

Where the sway bar should connect on each side, there is nothing there to connect to. Bolts must have snapped on both sides.

Couple questions. How hard is this to fix?

I've not done anything with shocks or springs before. Is there a good video or step by step with pictures for this kind of repair somewhere?

Is there anything that would make this tricky.

How many hours should a shop charge for this?
I'm guessing 1 to 3 hours, but rates here are over $100 an hour so if I pay someone, I want it more to the hour or even half hour.

And roughly how much for parts,
under $50
over $50 but under $100
over $100 but under $250
over $250

Is this what I need: Moog - Control Arm Cam Bolt Kit

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2920&ppt=C0322

Since the mechanic had it on a lift and didn't see this, I am thinking that I should find a different mechanic. Or is this something they would not see even with a lift if the tires were not taken off?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by JVH3; 02-21-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No, you need this. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...y+bar+end+link

I would take a good mechanic less than ½ hour to install. It is common for them to snap. When they do break remove both and install new ones on each side.

lees99f150 posted his fix. Here is the link: https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...-clunking.html

Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
No, you need this. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...y+bar+end+link

I would take a good mechanic less than ½ hour to install. It is common for them to snap. When they do break remove both and install new ones on each side.

lees99f150 posted his fix. Here is the link: https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...-clunking.html
Thanks. That looks really easy to do.

None of the Oreilly's had that exact part, but they did have a Moog one that is about half the price with a lifetime warrenty.

Last edited by JVH3; 02-22-2011 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Sway bar Link Bolt SNAP!