Transmission will not shift into gear

Old 10-08-1999, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission will not shift into gear

I am having a problem with the automatic transmission not shifting into gear. I start my 1997 F-150, step on the brake, and attempt to shift. It will not shift into gear. The shifter will not move. This has been a recurring problem. I was recently going to have it towed the next day and I came back the next morning and it shifted. Any similar complaints/solutions? My truck only has 10,000 miles, but the warranty is almost up.

Old 10-08-1999, 10:25 PM
Exclamation

I believe that is a switch activated(off the brake) solenoid that releases the shifter. Probably going bad or bad connection.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip, Mobil 1

Old 10-09-1999, 08:53 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This happened to me in our '95 Windstar, thank goodness it was under warranty becuase I thought it was just stuck. It has the same shifter lever as is in these trucks so BE CAREFUL. I'm no Superman(ok, maybe I'm just incredibly strong)but, I snapped it off about an inch from the rubber boot. The van was still in Park and the shifter was dangling in the floorboard by the Overdrive wire that runs up the middle of steel shifter. We were towed in by rocking the van and then using visegrips to shift.
I had never heard of this again before now, thanks. The dealer asked, "Did you have you're foot on the brake to shift?". I rolled on the floor, stomped my feet, held my breath and they finally fixed it for free.

Old 11-26-1999, 11:02 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Just read on the discussion list that someone else had the same problem with the lever not shifting out of Park. The dealer said it was a safety feature that if your brake lights weren't working (short/bulb?) it wouldn't shift. I really wish the Government and Business would STOP protecting me so much!
They said there was a work around to prevent being towed or worse breaking the gear shift lever off...

"Turn the key to start the position and then turn back one click, then
the shift lever should release, shift into neutral and start the truck
in neutral. You can now drive but remember you have no brake lights, so
be careful."

I think for next year if your tire should go flat the lug nuts should pop off automatically, (regardless of speed) because we all know you shouldn't be riding on a flat tire.

Old 12-14-1999, 12:24 AM
I had the same problem in my '97 2wd ex. cab. If you encounter this problem and need to get somewhere NOW, look in your owner's manual under "fuses" and pull the fuse that controls the "brake-shift interlock". I believe it is #6. It also controls air suspension and affects the interior lights when getting in and out while truck is running. You will be able to get it in gear and go where you want to go. However, the root of the problem in my truck was the wires leading to the brake switch. Get on the floor on the drivers' side and look carefully at the wiring leading to the brake switch(on the brake pedal). The wires were fatigued and broke right at the switch. I had brake lights intermittently, when the broken wire happened to touch inside the insulation. Whatever you do, make sure you have brake lights before you drive - the cruise control will not disengage without the signal from the brake switch. You can rewire the harness and give yourself a couple more inches of slack in the wires so that they won't fatigue from bending right behind the switch.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:07 PM
In the shop

Just took my 1999 F-150 into the shop today (11/10/2003) because the shift lever wouldn't even put the truck in gear. For the past two weeks, I was having trouble shifing it into gear. Two days ago, I drove up to the hardware store. When I got back into my truck to drive home, the shift lever acted like it wasn't even attached to the shift cable anymore. The cable was still attached but somewhere in between the lever and the cable, the shift lever shaft was broke. I had to reach under the dash to manually push/pull the cable to shift it into gear.

Anyone see andy recalls or TSBs anywhere about this? My truck is out of warranty and I don't have an ESP. The service advisor said they don't see too many of these types of issues. Says it could cost some money to repair if any items in the steering column are borken.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Angry Frustrated

Up until today everything had been fine with my 2004 F150 Triton, it's been -45c for the past few weeks and it's been behaving nicely.. Also, I just got the oil changed two weeks ago.((I sure as hell hope that the Ford dealership didn't do something to it just so they could get money out of me... That happens alot up north.))

I went to take my boyfriend to work this morning and I could not get it out of park!! And it's only -33c out!..

I tried turning the wheel, letting it run for an hour, and I checked my transmission fluid. All is fine!.. And yes, the brake lights are working just find.

People keep saying that maybe the transmission is frozen.. I surely hope that is all it is.

Does anybody else have any idea's???

Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Happy

So, I just played around with what the owners manual says... And thank god there is an override button for the gear shifter, because that is the problem.

The button on the shifter itself will not work to get it out of Park for some unknown reason. But if you pop off the plastic console around the shifter, there is a little white button on the drivers side of the shifter. All you do is press that and put it into Neutrel, then start up and all is well until I put is back into Park... and then I have to do the whole thing all over again.

I am going to take it to a shop and have a guy look at it. If it is something simple, I might just fix it myself.

I'm just happy I don't have to get it towed now.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All one needs to do to bypass it is turn the key to the unlock position (not RUN, but UNLOCK), shift to neutral, then start the vehicle and drop it into gear.

There can be a few different causes depending on the year and model of truck. A common cause is the SCDS shorting out, and blowing the fuse for the brake lights. On some years, the brake-shift interlock is fed from the same feed that powers the SCDS and rear brake lights. The third brake light will usually still work on those vehicles.

There are other causes, including mechanical failure of the interlock, a bad brake pedal switch, or other blown fuses and wiring issues.

Basically, the interlock looks for two power sources to release: Brakes, and switched ignition power. Leave them both off or both on, and you can bypass the interlock. If you have input from only one, (ignition or brakes) the pin locks the shifter.

-Joe

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Angry

This started last week on my 04. Shifter will not unlock. I knew there was a release button. But now it a pain. I tried the unlock trick and no dice. That dont work. It would do it then stop. I would press the brake pedal dow allot. I would hear a click noise. Then it would be fine. Is this a brake switch? Where is this solenoid? I checked my brake lights they are good. Please help.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It sounds like the park pawl is stuck.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
It sounds like the park pawl is stuck.
What? What is pawl? Where is it?
It releases when i push the white button under the console. It wont release with the ignition trick I read on here.

Last edited by schnurmac; 03-06-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:51 PM
hey Aputii did u happen to resolve ur issue?? im having the same problem and the brake lights are working so i need to know how to fix it, please help

Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Just read on the discussion list that someone else had the same problem with the lever not shifting out of Park. The dealer said it was a safety feature that if your brake lights weren't working (short/bulb?) it wouldn't shift. I really wish the Government and Business would STOP protecting me so much!
They said there was a work around to prevent being towed or worse breaking the gear shift lever off...

"Turn the key to start the position and then turn back one click, then
the shift lever should release, shift into neutral and start the truck
in neutral. You can now drive but remember you have no brake lights, so
be careful."

I think for next year if your tire should go flat the lug nuts should pop off automatically, (regardless of speed) because we all know you shouldn't be riding on a flat tire.
This was excellent advice. I did exactly as you said. I turned my key on then back one click and was able to shift gear. Your right I do not have break lights. Thank You So Much

Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by EyeLLBBaK
This was excellent advice. I did exactly as you said. I turned my key on then back one click and was able to shift gear. Your right I do not have break lights. Thank You So Much
Who would have thought something typed twelve years ago would help somebody in Alaska? I was just a kid back then.

You're welcome,
and thank you for using the search feature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission will not shift into gear