Recall Fire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Once the warranty runs out it is absolutely impossible for a manufacturer to keep track of the millions of vehicles they build. That's the purpose behind publicizing the recall, so the people that now own the affected trucks have the opportunity to bring them in to be fixed. Since 1995 Ford has build in the neighbourhood of 10-15 million F150's. There aren't records kept anywhere that would allow Ford to contact all those owners.

lol... be serious, now

Ford uses state and provincial vehicle registration data (which is provided to them by the individual goverments) to locate current owners.

Any expectation that this information is 100% accurate is wildly optimistic. After all, they are getting the data from a governmental body. Vehicle sales, owners moving, and data entry errors all mean that there will be gaps and errors in trying to locate current owners.

Steve

Old 07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asumed the cause of my f-150 fire was a cc issue as well. I had mine taken care of, but I thought what else could it of been. The investigation showed nothing because there was nothing left of the truck. I called Ford and they told me that as long as my insurance took care of it they wouldn't even consider any compensation. I told them that I wanted a letter of apology saying thank you for being a loyal Ford customer and a hat. She kind of shrugged that off but said okay. I've since got an '06 XLT 4X4 supercab. I love the truck. The downside is that I had to lease it because I couldn't afford to buy one. I tried to make that point to the Ford rep that I talked to, but she wasn't buying it. Anyway I'm proud to be driving a Ford Truck, and I wouldn't drive any other brand of truck.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
lol... be serious, now

Ford uses state and provincial vehicle registration data (which is provided to them by the individual goverments) to locate current owners.

Any expectation that this information is 100% accurate is wildly optimistic. After all, they are getting the data from a governmental body. Vehicle sales, owners moving, and data entry errors all mean that there will be gaps and errors in trying to locate current owners.

Steve
Regardless that is a MONSTROUS undertaking for any manufacturer. It's more cost effective to publicize a recall in order to get the public to bring their vehicles in.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Regardless that is a MONSTROUS undertaking for any manufacturer. It's more cost effective to publicize a recall in order to get the public to bring their vehicles in.

Yes it is. However, here in the states, they are required by law to attempt to notify every owner that they can by mail. I suppose some of those letters get tossed as junk mail by some who aren't paying attention. As mobile as our society has become, you can bet a significant number of registrations are no longer current.

Steve

Old 07-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Yes it is. However, here in the states, they are required by law to attempt to notify every owner that they can by mail. I suppose some of those letters get tossed as junk mail by some who aren't paying attention. As mobile as our society has become, you can bet a significant number of registrations are no longer current.

Steve
Agreed. 100%. And none of that is Ford's fault.

The manufacturer can only do so much.... They have to rely on the state and provincial registrations because they have no other way to determine who owns an F-150. Neither Ford nor any other vehicle manufacturer maintains ownership records beyond the initial sale and any warranty transfers that take place. It's just not humanly possible with anything less than an active OnStar or other 'big brother' system in place.

Now, for the original poster, if the switch had been deactivated per the interim repair, or replaced per the updated recall once parts became available, it was not eh cruise control. How the firemen that came to put out the fire can determine that from the smoldering remains of the vehicle after they put out the fire is beyond me. There are a TON of other wires, relays, and flammable items (gasoline on a hot manifold, for example) in the immediate vicinity of the CC switch that can get hot enough to cause combustion. Unless they were standing there when it ignited, there's no way they can determine the cause of it.

As for the gentleman whose father's 95 burnt up, again, how can they know for sure? Lots of vehicles catch fire when they're 15 years old for a whole host of different reasons. Sure, it's possible, but just because it could have been the switch, there's absolutely nothing to prove it one way or the other. He should have been notified of the issue, and it was highly publicised as well. While I'm sorry to hear of the loss fo a Ford, I can't fault the company as they made every attempt to notify the owners both directly as well as through the media.

-Joe

Old 08-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, I took my 1999 F-150 (Ext Cab, V6, Automatic) in for the recall, and they popped the hood and closed it in literally 30 seconds and said it was done. That seemed crazy to me (I even had to set up an appointment to bring the truck in for that!). Well, ever since then, my cruise control no longer works. Either it won't set at all when you push the Set button, or it will set but turn itself off within 30-60 seconds. I took it back to the dealer yesterday, who said it definitely wasn't related to whatever they did on the recall. Could it really be a total coincidence that I take it in for a recall on cruise control and it suddenly stops working???

Old 08-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by manderson99
Well, I took my 1999 F-150 (Ext Cab, V6, Automatic) in for the recall, and they popped the hood and closed it in literally 30 seconds and said it was done. That seemed crazy to me (I even had to set up an appointment to bring the truck in for that!). Well, ever since then, my cruise control no longer works. Either it won't set at all when you push the Set button, or it will set but turn itself off within 30-60 seconds. I took it back to the dealer yesterday, who said it definitely wasn't related to whatever they did on the recall. Could it really be a total coincidence that I take it in for a recall on cruise control and it suddenly stops working???
Not likely. I wonder if all they did was disconnect the cruise? Have you looked at the swich to see if it is still hooked up? They should have replace the wiring with a new set up.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by manderson99
Well, I took my 1999 F-150 (Ext Cab, V6, Automatic) in for the recall, and they popped the hood and closed it in literally 30 seconds and said it was done. ... Could it really be a total coincidence that I take it in for a recall on cruise control and it suddenly stops working???
Mark, the cruise control recall was in two parts.
With millions of harnesses needed, Ford recommended that you bring in the vehicle immediately for a disconnect and come back when the dealer had the harness in stock.

Sounds like you got the disconnect done.

Go to another dealer, play dumb.
Tell them you bought the truck used and want to know about the cruise recall.
Ask them to look under the hood and determine if the truck has the new harness.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
sorry to bring this old post up im a new and found this while doing some research. my dads 95 f150 caught fire friday around midnight i tough someone was trying to steal cause i heard noises but according to the fire department the truck caught fire by itself. we have evidence of force entry the lock on the side door is damaged and my sister heard someone trying to open the door. good think i sleep in a separate room from the house that my dad built if not my whole fam prob would have burn to death in the house. the fire department suggested that we bring this issue to the attention of ford but from what i have read with all the recall notices i imagine my parent shouldnt even bother.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I wasn't aware of the '93-'96 trucks having this issue, sounds like you to give this to your fireman friend

Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Recall included 1993-2004 F150s.

Just so you're aware...

Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM
i also think hes full of crap 1. because we havent used the truck for the past week because we were test driving my camaro that i recently had fixed and i dont think the truck would spontaniously ccombusted lol. idk think the faulty cc could come into play in a truck that hasnt been moved in a week

Originally Posted by tarajerame
I wasn't aware of the '93-'96 trucks having this issue, sounds like you to give this to your fireman friend

Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Actually it can.

The problem was with the brake switch on the master cylinder, it's always energized. So when the switch starts leaking fluid and corrosion etc hit the right combo, poof. At least that's my understanding.

Last edited by kretinus; 01-19-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
really fudge lol, so what can i do about it because since my dad only used it once in a while he had just the liability insurance on it, and the house insurance says it doesnt cover the car only personal stuff that was inside and the damages the fire made to our home. do i contact ford about this, we never reacived any recall info, i bearly found out about this when i was researching it.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
run the vin and see if there was a recall on it.

if you need the link PM me and I'll help you out

Quick Reply: Recall Fire!!!