Double posting.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I do not use Word.
I did copy paste each line.
It looked good and I hit submit.
When I hit submit, my text is stored somewhere?
Maybe this area isn't big enough?
Maybe the syntax that indicates 'end of post' is not found where it should be?
Maybe there is a loop that occurs only in certain conditions?

I thought there was some limit on length of posts,
I never reached it but maybe '01 has?

Old 01-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster
Are you typing the message into the form manually or are you copy/pasting it from Word??

Are the others experiencing this problem copy/pasting from a Word processor or typing the message directly into the box?

What happens if you type the exact same message into the form, not using copy/paste from Word?
No, I did not type the message into the form manually but copy/pasted it from Word. I will try both manually typing the same amount of text manually into the form and see what happens.

I will try that in the same “test thread” Raoul was using and then I started which is linked in the above post so it doesn’t turn this thread into a “test” thread.

Old 01-18-2004, 10:55 AM
F150online
Founder
Well, the big question is, when did this behavior start?

We need to try to narrow down exactly when it started.

I doubt that it is the forum software itself. For the most part, the server migration was completed last Saturday and this problem was not reported until a couple of days ago? In addition, we upgraded to the latest version of the forum software while on the old server, more than two weeks ago. If it were a problem with the software, I would think that the problem would have manifested itself sooner.

If it started to occur in the last couple of days, the culprit may be some server configuration I've made in the past couple of days...

Old 01-18-2004, 11:21 AM
It looks like it started on or about 1/15, at least that is the first time I seen the problem...

Old 01-18-2004, 11:26 AM
F150online
Founder
Hmmmm,

The odd character strings that it is adding when exceeding a certain length look as though they may match part of the "session hash" that is created for each visit.

Can you do me a favor...re-do what just did in the test forum and when you do, take a look at the URL above and see if any of the characters that appear after "?s=" like the URL below match those that magically appear in the garbled post...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/newreply.php

Old 01-18-2004, 12:09 PM
I tried it and posted the URL's I got. When I did the post with the odd chcharacter strings none of the numbers after "?s=" matched the string.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:27 PM
F150online
Founder
Just to confirm. This happens when editing a lengthy post, right? Not when adding a lengthy post, right?

Old 01-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Yes, so far I have only seen the "strange" charcters when going back to edit the post.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:35 PM
F150online
Founder
Can others confirm for me that this only happens when editing a long post? Raoul? Rob02? JohnandDar?

Old 01-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I should have added that the strange "charcters" that happen when editing only happen "sometimes" and not every time.

Old 01-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Steve, with me, I pasted my post from an article on the net,
I did my spelling corrections, (right there, I did not use word) then I hit enter. Wam, all of a sudden it was repeated over and over, but only certain paragraphs, not all of them like people are saying. Yes in this case I had copied and pasted it from a web site

When I saw it messed up, I hit edit, put it back to what it should be, then posted again. Again it was screwed up, so now I totally deleted it. And tried starting over, this time I first pasted it to Word, made the corrections, and copied and pasted it to F-150, again it was doubled. Tried it a third time and gave up.
The funny part is, I can tell you for a fact it originally was only showing double the post, but later when I went back it was now like repeated 4 times ???

It does seem to happen too if you write something long,
and not just copy and paste from elsewhere, or use Word.

Hope that helps

Old 01-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Just to confirm. This happens when editing a lengthy post, right? Not when adding a lengthy post, right?
I've seen the problem in some short posts also. I just went back to one of the posts that I remember specifically, but the poster has since edited the post to correct the problem. It seemed as the problem was occuring in some cases when the original post was being submitted (not when editing).

Another issue I noticed yesterday and this morning is error messages when trying to submit a reply to posts. It happened twice yesterday (trying to reply to 1 post) and again today (once). It's not a big deal, but I am now wondering if it could be a related problem?

If I come across the duplicate problem again in any new posts today, I'll ask the poster not to edit and I'll try to "flag" you down.

John

Old 01-18-2004, 01:17 PM
F150online
Founder
Another issue I noticed yesterday and this morning is error messages when trying to submit a reply to posts.
What exactly do the error messages say? Does it look like they are being displayed by the forums (ie. they look like the forum) or are they pop-up messages or are they error messages on an otherwise blank screen??

Old 01-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I had the same problem yesterday in my post. I only typed it out on F150 online and hit submit and it double posted part of my post. It seems to be very sporadic but mainly on longer posts. I tried to edit it and it looked fine, but when I hit submit, it came back in the forum as partially double posted. I ran a virus scan with latest updates and my computer is clean.

Old 01-18-2004, 02:06 PM
What exactly do the error messages say? Does it look like they are being displayed by the forums (ie. they look like the forum) or are they pop-up messages or are they error messages on an otherwise blank screen??
Steve, sorry for the incomplete information. The message was being displayed in the forum (it wasn't a timeout or server busy error)...but I can't remember exactly what it said. If it happens again, I'll take a screen shot of it.

John

Quick Reply: Double posting.