Pre-1997 Models

radiators

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiators

I went to flush my radiator the other day and my mechanic notified me of a leak on the bottom of the radiator. He performed a pressure test and discovered the leak. I have one of those plastic radiators. Can anyone tell me where I can get a good, possibly all metal, radiator for a good price? My truck has the HD cooling package w/trans cooler that doesn't appear to be attached to the radiator, oil cooler, and larger radiator. I do tow and want to make sure I get a comparable sized radiator.

Thanks for all the great info from everyone!

Old 03-07-2002, 09:14 AM
If you have the same radiator that I do, replacement shouldn't be necessary. It should be an aluminum radiator with plastic sides. What is so cool about these radiators is if it develops a leak, you can just replace that part (core or either side tank). I think it's a great piece personally.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 03-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stop at the parts counter and lunch and price out the parts. I need to ask the tech which part was leaking. They didn't really specify but I think they priced me a whole new radiator, approx $400 for the repair. Can't I just pop a couple bolts/screws/hoses and pull the whole thing out at once? Is it easy to put the pieces back on w/o leaks? How do the side tanks seal to the core?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2002, 09:43 AM
I haven't had to take one apart, so I really can't answer you, but I do know that ALLDATA lists replacing the side tanks as low-skill labor, and gives a labor time of 25 minutes per side. I believe they are attached by simple folding edges. Look at yours and see if you see what I mean, and discuss it with your mechanic. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, your mechanic could for quite a bit less than a new radiator.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 03-07-2002, 03:31 PM
I did some research at lunch. A new Ford radiator is $278. The total replacement cost w/labor would be $400+. If I ordered both side tanks it would be $120ish for the parts alone. A friend of mine referred me to a local shop that uses Modine brand radiators (I think this is the right name). He quoted me $175 for the radiator, $75 to install it, and $35 for a flush and new thermostat. That's $285 total. I'm dropping my truck off in the morning. I checked the fluid and it was pretty brown, this is why I requested the flush. I can't believe the prior owner neglected such a vital fluid for so long. I hope he at least changed the oil!!!

Old 03-07-2002, 10:59 PM
Remind them you tow sometimes. That replacement should be fine. The t-stat is a good idea if your coolant was brown.

If you want to do it yourself heres the nitty gritty:
*Two hoses and hose clamps.
*little hose to resevoir.
*A couple of bolts at top of rad to hold it in.
*Replacing drained out coolant(buy 2 gals and mix 50/50)
*Top off coolant after you've monitored it while warming up(it will bubble some).
*Put cap on.

Last edited by inski21; 03-07-2002 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: radiators