Pre-1997 Models

1994 Ford F-150 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1994 Ford F-150 Oil Leak

I took my 94 ford f-150 v8 5.0 to Walmart to do an oil change, called me back up front and said that I have a major oil leak and couldn't change my oil due to a liability issue. I already knew of the oil leak, and every time I was due for a change, it will always show I would be a quart low. Anyways, I took it home jacked it up and saw caked on oil underneath, as well as new (glossy) oil on the bottom of engine and on the oil pan itself. I'm not sure where it's coming from, I'm not a mechanic expert, but I know enough on what's what. I took plenty of pictures underneath and would like some advice where the oil is leaking from and how to fix. (New gaskets? Rear main seal? Need some thoughts)

I had the truck for more than 2 years, given from my grandfather for my first vehicle when I got a driver's license. A very great nice looking Eddie Bauer XLT Single Cab Long Bed still in pristine condition with little to no rust on body, all stock. Never made any upgrades or major fixes (besides water pump and throttle body). I have other problems with the truck, but for right now the oil is most concerning and definitely needs to be fixed before everything else. Thanks!

Driver Side

Exhaust Manifold is to the left

Last edited by dylandrews; 12-11-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Obvious valve cover gasket leaking on at least that side of the engine. Possible several other gaskets around the engine are or will be leaking also. it is probably gasket failure due to age deterioration problem. I'm not sure how much stuff you have to remove to get to those valve cover gaskets, but it is figure outable. Expect various gaskets to fail at intervals until most have been changed.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:01 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Best way to troubleshoot an oil leak is put fluorescent dye in the oil, then use a black light to see exactly where it's coming from. However, in this case I'd replace the valve cover gaskets on general principles and degrease the engine.

Old 04-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 94 Ford f-150

Originally Posted by somemorebob
Obvious valve cover gasket leaking on at least that side of the engine. Possible several other gaskets around the engine are or will be leaking also. it is probably gasket failure due to age deterioration problem. I'm not sure how much stuff you have to remove to get to those valve cover gaskets, but it is figure outable. Expect various gaskets to fail at intervals until most have been changed.
  1. I was wondering how yours turned out I have the same exact problem and have you or anyone used blue devil gasket sealer? I know it will only buy me some time? I'm a single women in this world on a fixed income. Any advice would be great

Old 04-19-2023, 03:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi Ginger, welcome to the forum. I'm happy to see you here. How much auto repair experience do you have? the reason i ask is that it is a steep learning curve at the beginning. I personally have never tried any of the stop oil leaks stuff. I figure that if it will plug up leaks, it might well also plug up needed oil passages too. At least there is tons of you tube videos on about every kind of problem on about every model and make. Is your F150 a 4.9, 6 cyl or a 302 ,V8. .If you do try to change gaskets, take lots of pictures and keep separate containers for nuts, bolts and clips etc. for each assembly you remove. much easier that way than trying to pick out the right stuff from a bucket with everything mixed up.
My old 96, 4.9 is still plodding along as my daily driver, very minimal oil seepage from the side pushrod cover at the rear.
I did change the valve cover gasket a long time ago, the oil pan gasket 2 or 3 years back, and the side cover maybe 2 years back.
If you need any advice/help you can contact me at somemorebob@yahoo.com. I'm 74 years old and started doing shade tree mechanic work with my Dad when i was four. We was poor folks so we had to fix it or do without.

Quick Reply: 1994 Ford F-150 Oil Leak