Pre-1997 Models

Fuel pump help

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel pump help

1992 F150 4X4 302 Single fuel tank

I have not had any problems at all with starting or running. Stopped at a friends house for 15 minutes and truck won't start. Starter fluid in intake and it fires right up for a second.
Cannot hear fuel pump running. Replaced Fuel Pump fuse and relay no help. 234.000 miles I figured fuel pump was dead. Replaced it and no help.

No obvious rusty or broken grounds, button not popped on inertia switch,

I am not a mechanic but have always been able to keep my vehicles running.
I am stumped on what to do next.
I am going to check old fuel pump to see if it will run.

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2019, 12:59 PM
I can add old fuel pump seems to run. Fuel gauge works and no engine lights!

Old 11-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Posted in wrong subforum

Old 11-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Dang it. Truck has me crazy! Sorry about that!

Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
do a Fuel Pressure test, and suspect a fuel filter that hasn't been changed in 28 years.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
No sweat! Moved it into the right section. You don't need any Valium.

- Jack

Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Sounds like it's time to get out a wiring diagram and volt meter and do some trouble shooting.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
ftw46 - I just merged the new thread you started on this problem with your original thread and deleted a redundant post. We've found multiple threads on a common topic lead to confusing responses that can waste your time and cost you extra money. Please confine your posts on this issue to this thread, Thanks!

- Jack

Old 11-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If you are not getting current to the fuel pump, there's very few items in the circuit. You obviously have swapped out the relay with a new one. You've changed the fuel pump in the tank, I assume. You should have swapped out the fuel filter. Next item on the agenda will be the PCM/ECU. I'd pull the right kick panel, I think that's where your inertia switch is. Pull it and then reset it. Find the PCM/ECU and give it a smell. If it smells smoky or burnt, there's yer problem. Check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve- should have 30-45 lbs as I recall.

If you don't have a fuel pressure tester:
https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-i...ter-62623.html

Old 11-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Thanks, Let me bring things up to date in a running log.
Checked inertia switch and jumped around it with no help. Pulled and opened PCM?ECU looks and smells pristine. Pulled relay block and checked wires for loose or corroded.
Cleaned every ground I could find on the vehicle and got fed up and dropped tank again.
While probing with a test light pump started running. Redid ground wire going to pump and everything seems to run normal and the fuel gauge is normal. I think I got it!
Not so fast! After two days of short trips with no problems I filled the tank and fuel started running out from around the tank seal I believe. Cross member prevents me from seeing it clearly.
I don't have the energy to pull the spare tire,trailer hitch and tank again so I decided to pull the bed even after reading all the horror stories on the bolts. I sprayed them down for several days with PB Blaster. 18mm nuts on bottom. All nuts came off easily and were not all that tight. Cut spray in bedliner off bolt heads and all bolts came right out. Four were oblong to prevent turning and middle two had the big square shoulders.
Will drive it to a friends in a day or so and we will use his tractor and straps to lift off bed.
I put a new seal on tank but it was twice as thick as the one I took off and I had a hell of a time getting the ring secured. May have rolled the seal or something.
Will update.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you may have an intermittent circuit, either the positive or the ground wire. I would expect it to return at odd times, but you will know where to start troubleshooting next time. I have pulled the bed off my dual tank 96 twice by myself, so cant be that hard. don't forget to drop the fuel filler spout and hose before lifting it. hope you find that weak connection while you have it off.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:32 PM
PS don't forget to disconnect the wiring harness for the lights/

Quick Reply: Fuel pump help