Pre-1997 Models

Info on the 5.0 Roller Block usage in the trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on the 5.0 Roller Block usage in the trucks

I just found the information I've been looking for for years now, and thought I'd share. It's regarding the usage of the 5.0 roller block in the F series, and when it started.

History:
As you all know, in 1985, Ford released a new 302 engine block. It was a roller engine, with a roller camshaft and roller lifters. To make this work, the bosses that the lifters ride in were elongated. This block could use either a roller cam/lifter combo, or a standard flat-tappet non-roller cam/lifter combo. Other than the cam and the lifters, the only other items that were roller/non-roller specific were the pushrods. Roller cam engines required pushrods that were .608" shorter than the pushrods for flat cam engines.

These engines were first released in 1985 in Mustangs that were equipped with a 5 speed transmission, and in all cars by 1986.

What I Knew:
I had always been informed that the 302 engine used in the F series trucks remained the flat-tappet non-roller type through 1991. Starting in 1992, the F series trucks switched over to the roller cam blocks, 7 years after they were first introduced.

What I Just Learned:
Starting in 1988, the F series 302 engines were assembled in the Cleveland Engine Plant, right next to the Mustang's 5.0 H.O. engine, and in fact used the exact same (roller) block. However, even though the trucks started using the 302 roller block in 1988, they were still equipped with flat-tappet non-roller cams and lifters through 1991.

What This Means:
While it is widely believed that the only way to install a roller camshaft and lifters into a stock truck 302 engine, built between 1988 and 1991, was with an aftermarket kit, that is not true. In fact, any roller cam and lifters designed for use in the Ford roller 302 (5.0) can be installed into an otherwise stock truck 302, built in 1988 or later. The only other thing needed are the correct length pushrods.

Summary:
So, you guys with 1988 and newer trucks, equipped with a 302, who have always wanted to be able to use a roller cam set-up, but didn't want the hassle of installing a roller cam "kit", or who wanted to install a specific Mustang camshaft, but couldn't because it was a roller, now can. It's as easy as installing a new cam, lifters and pushrods.

I find this to be excellent news. I have customers who want a Ford "B" or "E" roller cam (both of which work well with Speed Density) installed in their late 80's F-150's, and now I can easily do it.

Important Note:
The pushrod length required for Non-Roller Flat-Tappet Cams/Lifters is 6.880".
The pushrod length for Roller Cams/Lifters is 6.272".
Both have a diameter of .312".

Enjoy!

Take care,
-Chris

Old 05-08-2002, 10:37 AM
EXCELLENT info!!!

Old 05-08-2002, 09:39 PM
Are the holes already drilled in the lifter valley on pre 92 engine blocks?

Old 05-08-2002, 09:42 PM
cool, even though i don't exactly comprehend

Old 05-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by FORD302GUY
Are the holes already drilled in the lifter valley on pre 92 engine blocks?
Which holes?

BTW, I remembered one more part that will have to be changed, along with the cam/lifters/pushrods. The distributor gear. Roller cams are always made of billet steel, while flat cams are cast iron, so the distributor gear would also have to be changed.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 05-09-2002, 12:07 PM
As usual Chris.. great scoop. I never considered the fact that they might use the same block with two different lifter types.

Now if we can figure out why your Ca emissions truck is SD and my non CA truck is mass air.... lol

Old 05-09-2002, 07:18 PM
Roller cam lifters have to be held in one position(they cant rotate). There are some little H-shaped items that do this and there is a stamped steel tray that holds the H-Shaped pieces down. That tray is bolted to the block with 2 bolts in the lifter valley.

i hope you understand what I am saying-I dont know the correct names for these parts,but if you see a picture it will be obvious what I am talking about.

Old 05-10-2002, 04:14 AM
I know exactly what you are referring to. The lifter guide plates and the guide plate retainer, the later of which is attached to the lifter valley.

What I don't know is the answer. I do know that the blocks were identical to the Mustang blocks, but I don't know if the holes were actuallt tapped and threaded. I'm thinking they probably were, but even if they weren't, it's simple to do.

Good question, though! I hate not knowing an answer!

Take care,
-Chris

Old 05-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Yeah its no big deal to do I was just curious.
See ya

Old 05-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Re: Info on the 5.0 Roller Block usage in the trucks

Originally posted by PKRWUD

Summary:
So, you guys with 1988 and newer trucks, equipped with a 302, who have always wanted to be able to use a roller cam set-up, but didn't want the hassle of installing a roller cam "kit", or who wanted to install a specific Mustang camshaft, but couldn't because it was a roller, now can. It's as easy as installing a new cam, lifters and pushrods.

I find this to be excellent news. I have customers who want a Ford "B" or "E" roller cam (both of which work well with Speed Density) installed in their late 80's F-150's, and now I can easily do it.

Does Ford make a "B" or "E" cam w/ the non-HO firing order? This is the part I'm confused about. My understang was that the HO is a 351Winsor firing order. Straighten me out

Old 05-11-2002, 11:26 AM
Re: Re: Info on the 5.0 Roller Block usage in the trucks

Originally posted by inski21

Does Ford make a "B" or "E" cam w/ the non-HO firing order? This is the part I'm confused about. My understang was that the HO is a 351Winsor firing order. Straighten me out

All the B and E cams are HO firing orders,but if you change your plug wires to the HO firing order everything will be fine.( The HO and non HO use the same crankshaft.)

Old 05-11-2002, 03:23 PM
That is correct.

You guys are so smart!

Take care,
-Chris

Old 05-11-2002, 04:02 PM
Cool! Thanks a million. Since I've got an auto, I'd have to use the B303. The lights are on now.

one more thing, distributor rotation, counter clock wise??

Old 05-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by inski21
one more thing, distributor rotation, counter clock wise??
Ford V8's are counter-clockwise, while their Inline 6's are clockwise.

I don't know if this will help, but I always remember this because I think of Ford V8's as being backwards. My first V8 vehicle was a 1969 Chevelle Super Sport, so I first "learned" V8's with a Chevy. Therefore, to me, a V8 with the distributor mounted in the back, as all Chevy V8's do, is normal. Ford mounts them up front, which to me is backwards. So, it's only fitting that since their distributor location is backwards, so is their distributors rotation (counter-clockwise, like a clock running backwards). I know that may be a stretch for you, especially since you weren't me growing up! But, that's how I always remember that Ford V8 distributors rotate backwards.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 05-14-2002, 08:55 PM
need more clarification

On my 93, do I need a different pushrod and/or lifter if I were to put in a B303?

The HO firing order has slipped my mind, could you remind me please?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Info on the 5.0 Roller Block usage in the trucks