Pre-1997 Models

I guess these count as pre-97...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:12 PM
F150 Town Crier
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess these count as pre-97...

I'd never, ever want to own one, but I'm kind of fascinated by the ancient trucks like the ones they have at the Gilmore Car Museum. One of the writers just went and took a ton of great photos. Head to the HP and check them out!

Old 06-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I learned how to drive with old large trucks. A 1949 International 180 was my first, that's a 2 ton truck that had a 6 banger and a 5 speed. My first car was a 1934 Ford 3 window. While you might think that a 34 coupe is a full size car, it's incredibly tight to put 3 people in it. The International wasn't a lot bigger but you could put 3 in the seat. My next truck was an FFA rig we got. A 1947 Federal that was also a 6 banger, but a HUGE 6 banger. It had a 5 speed with 2 speed rear axles and a 3 speed Browning. For those that don't know, that's a truck tractor. We pulled a 42' flatbed float with it and hauled hay. Even with it, seating 3 people in the cab was tight but that was mostly due to the two gearshifts. The Browning came from the back of the cab so the seat was split.
From the pic, it appears that this was one of the early lifts. Most of the day were hand operated. You weren't in any hurry as it was a slow go. Then again the truck probably had something like 4.10 gears in it and for the era, the engine wasn't capable of much speed with those gears but it would walk off with just about anything you could get a hold on. Considering the HP of the day, those old trucks did a fantastic job at working for a living.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
My Dad said he drove log trucks back in the 30's that had the flat head V8 Ford and they would last 100k miles hauling logs.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:58 PM
F150 Town Crier
Originally Posted by Roadie
My Dad said he drove log trucks back in the 30's that had the flat head V8 Ford and they would last 100k miles hauling logs.
Wow... 100k is incredible for back in the day!

Old 06-17-2017, 02:59 PM
F150 Town Crier
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I learned how to drive with old large trucks. A 1949 International 180 was my first, that's a 2 ton truck that had a 6 banger and a 5 speed. My first car was a 1934 Ford 3 window. While you might think that a 34 coupe is a full size car, it's incredibly tight to put 3 people in it. The International wasn't a lot bigger but you could put 3 in the seat. My next truck was an FFA rig we got. A 1947 Federal that was also a 6 banger, but a HUGE 6 banger. It had a 5 speed with 2 speed rear axles and a 3 speed Browning. For those that don't know, that's a truck tractor. We pulled a 42' flatbed float with it and hauled hay. Even with it, seating 3 people in the cab was tight but that was mostly due to the two gearshifts. The Browning came from the back of the cab so the seat was split.
From the pic, it appears that this was one of the early lifts. Most of the day were hand operated. You weren't in any hurry as it was a slow go. Then again the truck probably had something like 4.10 gears in it and for the era, the engine wasn't capable of much speed with those gears but it would walk off with just about anything you could get a hold on. Considering the HP of the day, those old trucks did a fantastic job at working for a living.
Yeah, I believe you about the tight quarters. Cars have gotten so much bigger — and sounds like you have experience with some killer hardware!