Pre-1997 Models

95 4x4 5.8 oil pump / pick up replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4x4 5.8 oil pump / pick up replacement

Long story short .. replaced oem sender and a little change in pressure . Several miles later and now a mechanical gauge off the top of t fitting . 30lbs at start up . 10 miles drops to 0 . dash gauge stays in the middle until you slow to a stop or slow down to turn a corner . going down highway shows where it should . Has been 3 months like this .

Would it be easier to pull engine to check / replace things . getting older and no hoist .

Thank you

Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi, rigid1 - I deleted the other thread you started on this topic because we've found that duplicate threads or posts on the same topic lead to confusing responses that can waste your time or cost you additional money.

I wouldn't pull the engine! Hope someone has a better suggestion for you soon.

Since you don't hear funny noises and your engine hasn't seized, it seems to me that your oil pump is working fine, but that the pressure it delivers is not always getting to the sender, possibly due to a clog.

- Jack

Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
How about how many miles on it? What oil and filter are you using, brand, viscosity? Did this creep up on you or did it happen fairly quick? Any oil flushes or seafoam in the oil during the life of the engine? Go over the gauge readings one more time and don't try to abbreviate it.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250k miles . havoline 10w30 oil with stp filter . I have tried castrol high mileage oil but had the same results . I have used seafoam a couple of times within the last year . The problem has been going on for a long time . originally the dash gauge read lower than what it should have so I replaced the sender . that helped ,but has been well over a year ago . around 6 -7 months ago the dash gauge started dropping to nothing when the truck was in gear . In park it dropped but not to the same point . with light pressure on the throttle / rpm it would stay up in both park and in gear . . about 2 months ago I hooked in a mechanical gauge also . I have a 90* swivel that comes off the port where the oem sender was . There is a T fitting with the oem sender in the middle and the mechanical line coming straight out of the top .

when the truck is started there is 30-35 lbs on the mechanical gauge and the dash gauge is in the letter M . Coming home today I drove 6 miles in town before the mechanical gauge started dropping to 0 . The dash gauge was still on the letter M . As I got to a turn and slowed down the dash gauge dropped to the red , back to the throttle and it immediately jumped back to the letter M and maintained that down the highway . mechanical gauge still read 0 . 10 miles to the next stop sign and it did the same thing .slowing down to turn in the drive and the dash gauge back to red mark . low idle down the drive and still at the red mark . the mechanical gauge needle does not respond the the gas pedal , but dash gauge does . sorry I am so long winded . thank you for your help