Pre-1997 Models

Please help, my truck is OOC!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Irq21
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation and finding no help anywhere...
has anyone found a source for a harmonic balancer with the 4 point sensor ring?
Mine has one of the points broken off

​​​​​​​This might help.....https://damperdoctor.com/index.php?r...product_id=775

Last edited by frank5079; 09-21-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ring on the balancer was added because the obd2 standard required a "check" against another sensor. The four points essentially line up with distributor pulses to serve as a check on its signal quality. The distributer is the source of pip for both ignition and injection. It will set codes without that ring, but on every one I've seen still operate fine.

You can revise the computer code to no longer look for the sensor with no detriment.

Later models use the 30 tooth sensor on the balancer, and the distributor is changed to be can position. On those the crank ring is the needed component.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the same problem with my 1996 F150 4.9 . after much research i figured out the reluctor ring is held on by 4 torx screws with the ford nub in the center. I ordered the universal dampner which is drilled and tapped for the ring. I used my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to make slots in the screws and used small chisel and hammer to offcenter impact screws to loosen, flat tip to remove and installed ring on new balancer. I wish I could remember where I ordered the dampner from, but the ravages of age screw with near term memory. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Please help, my truck is OOC!