Pre-1997 Models

1989 F150 with a 302 blowing smoke liek a WWI destroyer

Old 03-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 F150 with a 302 blowing smoke liek a WWI destroyer

My oldest sons 89 he got took to 700 to buy drive fine for 20 miles, then boiled over and shut off, ( dead battery) jumped it for 45 minutes, oil everywhere, in the air filter intake engine on top of it, kinda like I sprayed it from a sprayer, it started again and went 2 miles then shut off again ( dead battery, its a charging system problem) BUT this time when we got it started is blew a thick smoke with a faint smell of antifreeze and only made it 1 mile then it shut off again, the motor cranks slow now so I assume the battery is dead and the rods are all still there cause I hear no knocks and all,

Y'all think he blew one head gasket or both of them?
gonna change both, just making friendly bets about one or two

Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I'd be tempted to pull the engine and go through it.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:33 PM
I got 2 spark plugs to go before I do a compression test
the day he bought it it didn't smoke for the first 22 miles at 20 miles the battery died, after a 45 minute charge it started with no smoke and ran 2 miles before the engine shut off, the next day when it started is when it blew smoke, at no time did I her any knock or ping so I'm wondering if its just head gaskets, but I am leaning toward compression rings since the crank case is pushing oil of of it, I just hope teh smell of antifreeze was from the boil over.

As for the rest of the truck......yea he got ripped off, BUT I'd have bought it too, theirs 2 rust spots on the extended cab at the bottom that is easy enough to remove and weld a washing making side into, the for when works I'm assuming because there's the proper resistance when you shift and i can hear it go into gear, its got F250 leaf springs in the rear, and 32x11.5 mud tires, the only reason my Dakota is better is I know what kind of 4wd system I have and mine doesn't get stuck unless I bury it to the bottom of the truck
when I'm done this Ford WILL be the same, also it will be #16 I resurrect from the dead

Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 PM
OK ran a compression test today......#1 150 psi, #2 Dead no psi at all #3 water comes out when cranked, #4 cant get to because of air box, #5 dead, no psi at all #6 150 psi #7 150 pis #8 150 psi
Oil looks like a milkshake, I'm hoping to pull the valve covers and find broken valve springs nit I have a feeling the heads have to come off (yes I'm being funny heads MUST come off ) , once they are off I'm gonna inspect each cylinder with a black light and dye to look for cracks and the heads too, but I bet ya there's a cylinder or two that needs compression rings, I honestly hops I'm wrong cause I can get heads all day long

Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you have holes in the pistons.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Yea, that is its own separate inspection, call me Mr overkill, but I did 20 in Naval aviation as a Aviation Machines mate , I was also a CDI, which is a collateral duty inspector, QAR Quality assurance inspector, so when the heads come of I will do performing a dye penetrate inspection on every single inch of engine. I cant help it it is just how I was trained
As for being able to disassemble and repair it, than Kenneth Dale Hummell and Fred Nueman in Secrecy County Arkansas, every time something broke all I hears was "come here now boy" I have fixed, repaired, rebuilt, and manufactured everything from a 2.5 hp Briggs lawnmower to F18 Hornet aircraft.I'm talking "Planes Trains and automobiles" Here. Yea its hard work, but I'm used to it, I have to be, I have a 1993 Dodge Dakota that is my daily lol

Old 03-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
My vote says cracked head or cracked block. My money is on cracked block.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:29 PM
I'm hoping for a blown head gasket and nothing more , that way I don't have to hear him bitch moan and complain for ever and have a door stop sitting in my garage forever because he doesn't want it and cant sell it

Right now I have to go buy a ford fuel line quick disconnect tool, he brought home some Cromwell tool truck plastic toy set that doesn't; work and I'm scared to put pliers on it, he said a metal one on the truck was $40 more, for $40 I can buy 10 of them at NAPA in town

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 F150 with a 302 blowing smoke liek a WWI destroyer