Pre-1997 Models

HELP!! Truck not running right anymore !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Fuel filter is 2 years old
Change it.

When I push on fuel test port valve on fuel rail, fuel comes out.
"Borrow" a pressure gauge from a parts store and see exactly what the pressure is.

Kept smelling "overheated wires smell), burning plastic when driving (unrelated?)
That might be the ECU.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck does not have spark. It must have just been "dieseling" when I was adding starting fluid. If possible, a step by step procedure would be awesome to find the spark problem. Can someone take a picture of the step by step from their manual and post it? I had a service manual for the truck, but it got stolen. They broke in to the vehicle and took it!

Last edited by starman8tdc; 01-21-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Turn the ignition switch on and make sure you have juice coming in through one of the small wires hooked on the coil.

2. Test or replace the ignition module mounted on the side of the distributor. You need a special tool to remove and reinstall the ignition module.

3. Test or replace the coil.

4. Install a New aftermarket distributor, or disassemble your current distributor and install a new PIP. Don't mess around with a rebuilt distributor, most of them are junk.

I got a good education on these ignition systems, on the job training.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Sounds like a plan. I will start with that stuff. The more info and details the better.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Lost spark, and had the truck towed home.

So I got a Chilton Repair manual. I can not diagnose the problem, too complicated. I wanted to try throwing some parts at the truck to see if I get lucky. The local parts store will let me return the parts if it doesn't work. I have the TFI-IV ignition system, NOT the Duraspark, as this is a fuel injected engine.

There is no spark coming out of the coil, I checked.

I was going to start with the ignition control module on the side of the distributor, then try the coil. Is that a good set of parts to replace, or are other easier/more likely to be the problem.

P.S. Yes, I know that throwing parts at my truck is probably only going to dent the fender, but its the route I have chosen to pursue, so any advice on which parts would be most appreciated. If this doesn't work, its going to a repair shop.

Last edited by starman8tdc; 02-08-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Ok, I will try replacing those parts.

What do ya know.. The first one I replaced fixed the problem.

It was the ignition control module on the side of the distributor.

Truck runs, but still has EGR problems.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Truck not running right anymore !!