Pre-1997 Models

Ol Red VS. EF5 Tornado!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ol Red VS. EF5 Tornado!!!

My family and i were in my truck when the Joplin, MO Tornado struck. We were right in the middle of the storm. We all had non life threatening injuries. Beleive it or not when i got to the truck today, we put two tires on the passenger side, and jump started it and i was able to drive it home. it was just about 2 miles. The body is a total loss. im not sure what im going to do with it yet. any ideas?

I popped the hood to inspect the engine compartment. the pry bar wasnt used to open it. it was used to clear what was left of the windshield out of the way. The hood latch worked pefectly.

I have no idea where my tool box went.

The wind ripped the paint off the bumper, wheel well molding, and mirrors!!!!

Please keep all those affected by this outbreak of storms in your thoughts and prayers. My family and i were damn lucky we survived with minor injuries.
We were at the intersection of Main st and 24th st. right in the middle of the damage path.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 AM
part it out and buy something new seems like the best option, or if you want, make it a demolition derby truck lol

Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It saved the family.....I'd make it a shrine! Give it a pat and a smile every time you walk past it.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 AM
wow! just the other day I was looking at pics of it and was thinking how great it looked...such a shame. but at least it saved your family...not Just any truck could do that!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You've put a lot of work into it mechanically, and we know how strong that engine and tranny are. I've heard that there's a junkyard outside of Neosho that specializes in Ford trucks - maybe you can get a body or a truck with no drivetrain or a nonrunning truck with some parts already robbed or something like that down there!

Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by glc
You've put a lot of work into it mechanically, and we know how strong that engine and tranny are. I've heard that there's a junkyard outside of Neosho that specializes in Ford trucks - maybe you can get a body or a truck with no drivetrain or a nonrunning truck with some parts already robbed or something like that down there!
My wife made the same comment. it would be a huge project. We will have to see. Personally I think it would be phenomenal to get it on the road again. Once things get back to some sort of normalcy around here I'll look into it.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is unbelievable! Glad you are all OK.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Wow man, I'm about speechless after looking at those photos of your truck. Again, I'm so glad you and your family made it through that.

Part of me agrees with the majority on here about restoring it. But then I also think about just appreciating the fact that truck kept you and your family safe and parting ways with it. It seems like it would be a lot of work body wise to bring her back. If the engine and tranny are still good, maybe pull em out and look for another truck in that generation with a blown engine and tranny? That way you'd still have a part of that truck with you?

It's funny how sentimental some of us truck enthusiast are. Most people would not even blink an eye and scrapping it and looking for something different.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 AM
First, Good to hear you and your family are ok. Its pretty amazing to just have minor injuries after looking at that truck.

If the insurance will total it and cut you a check, and I don't know it the would do it but see if you can pull the tranny and engine or just keep the whole thing since all they are going to do is scrap it. buy a newer truck and fix that one up for a play truck.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:10 PM
That's a hard decision, but knowing my stubborn *** I'd fix her up. That way somewhere down the line you could say thatit survived a tornado and basically saved ur families lives lol.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Funny thing is that I have seen worse than that driving on the road lol

Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Man thats crazy. Our church has been sending some crews down with supplies and workers from Lees summit to help with clean up and support. Glad you guys are ok.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Wow man, Glad you and your fam are ok! Regardless of what you do with the truck I'm sure you will come up with another sweet lookin ride!

D

Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Dang glad you and the family are alright. I see a commercial with your truck in it now.. "Built Ford Tough". I also agree on keeping it and knowing that it saved your families life!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Yes I think I'm gonna keep it and restore it. One my dad bought it for me cause he came into some money and felt bad for not being able to buy me my first vehicle. Secondly I'm keeping it not because it saved me, I believe that credit goes to god, but it is where my family and I almost, and by all rights should have, died. Plus I can use it as a symbol of this towns recovery. Coming back from the rubble so to speak. It will take some time, as I don't make the most money in the world, but so will rebuilding this town.

Quick Reply: Ol Red VS. EF5 Tornado!!!