Pre-1997 Models

Ol Red VS. EF5 Tornado!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far was the truck thrown by the tornado? Looks like it rolled a few times.

Glad to hear all of you are OK.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Normally I am all for keeping things like this, but how twisted is the frame, are the pillars ok, and everything else still good? It saved you this time, but if the pillars are messed up and something happens in the future, will it actually JEOPARDIZE your family?

I say fix her if you can, but make sure everything is perfect with the frame and such.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 AM
The rear of the truck left the ground for a moment and then something slammed in to it and put it back down. We were basically in the same position from start to end. We were hit hard a couple of times. By what I don't know. We never rolled or anything. I think it was all flying debris that damaged the truck. I'm willing to bet that I don't have any frame issues as I drove it to my house and it tracked straight and ran great! but I will check to make sure. As far as the pillars I'm planning on using a new cab. I'm sure I can find one. I may have to talk to the highway patrol about the VIN number between cabs. I don't know. Believe it or not the doors still open, close and latch pretty well!!! Just with a little more noise!!

I'll be honest with all of you. In the few days since this took place I haven't really been myself. Tuesday night was the worst. We are staying with friends in Carl Junction and when the sirens went off I went absolutely nuts. I can't even stand being outside in a small gust of wind!! It's terrifying!! I need to get past this and as nutty as it sounds, I think rebuilding the truck will help. its funny I know. But the truck and I are pretty screwed up right now and with hand tools, elbow grease, and some late nights I think it and I will be a lot better. Call me crazy.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Best wishes to you which ever way you decide to go. And you have earned the right to be a little messed up right now, hang in there.

Jim

Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 AM
No man don't worry you aint crazy its just your nerves and natural reaction.. You are good anybody calls you crazy they can F**k off for real I have been blown up 4 times and I still jump every time I here a "pop" or something like it. Don't worry man you had God on your side brother! I'm glad you and the family made it through this. It just shows you how to appreciate life more. God bless brother and I look forward to the rebuild!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Dude I've been kinda crazy for you and I was over a hundred miles away. We'really in Mannford, Ok and 2 days ago the sirens started going, the sky was green, ya know all the bad stuff. All I could think about was will I be as lucky? Nothing ever hit us but needless to say, you have more than enough reason to be shaken up.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Things are looking up today. The doctors at the VA told me that my arm isnt broken. Just severe soft tissue and muscle damage. it will take a week or two but it should be fine. The kids are progressing well. And i found a 91 f150 without motor or trans that is straight with just a bit of rust over the rear wheels for $500. I may be doing things the hard way but im not just yanking my motor and trans and putting it in the new truck. Im taking the good body and putting it on my frame pending everything is ok. Im pretty sure that it is. As soon as i scrape up the money i will have it. The guy that has it is a friend of my neighbors and he saw my truck and made me the offer. The only thing unknown at this time is the legalities of switching the cabs due to the VIN. Im not gonna bother with the highway patrol right now as im sure there really busy. if anything i may have to register the truck as the 91 instead of my 90. BTW my truck will no longer be refered to as "ol red" it is now known as "twister"!!!! Thanks again everyone for your support and kind words. It means alot!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I know you don't come to this website for this kind of information, but you, your family, and your neighbors will be hearing the phrase "post traumatic stress disorder" alot in the future. I wasn't there so I don't claim to know or understand anything you guys went through. But I'd bet "traumatic" doesn't even scratch the surface. Good luck and God bless.

Last edited by stewy 39; 05-26-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Looking at the pictures all I can say is holly crap, amazing no one was really hurt bad. I would fix it up, paint it black and call it the 'Twister' Looks like I am too late, Twister has been spoken for,

Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM
good deal bud! hopefully you can get that '91 and get yours back on the road ASAP. great news on your arm too...here's hoping you have a speedy recovery!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I can't over what you and your family went though... I loved your truck when I saw it back during your posts a few months ago. Killed me to see this, but here's to getting it fixed up

Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 AM
I think someone edited it. But they asked what it was like....... PURE 100% UNADULTERATED EVILNESS OUTFITTED IN A RAGING BLACK CLOUD OF SATANIC PROPORTIONS!!! don't get me wrong. I'm not upset about the question. frankly I've been asked it alot so far. I don't mind. its a honest question to satisfy any normal curiosity. My next real obstacle is the westboro Baptist church showing up at the memorial this Sunday. filthy stinking pigs! It is too soon for these bastard to be here. then again is anytime a good time? With the mention of ptsd, I'm afraid someone is really gonna let these idiots have it. Mark my words, it won't be me, but man its oh so tempting to polish up my marksmanship abilities.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Wait, so you were in the truck when it got hit? That's scary.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes. We were heading home from a friends house when we were hit. almost there too. about another two minutes we would have been fine.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Zack, his whole family was in the truck and they were driving on Main St. on their way home from somewhere!

If you can find some maps online, they were hit at 24th and Main - essentially "ground zero".

I took him to the VA in Mt. Vernon yesterday to get his arm looked at - on the way back he asked me to drive through there. It took about half an hour to get up Main St. from 32nd St. to 20th St. and it's just awful.

Quick Reply: Ol Red VS. EF5 Tornado!!!