Pre-1997 Models

Additional Speaker locations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional Speaker locations?

Hi was wondering if anybody has put additional speakers in their standard cab, and where. I have an 84 standard cab with just a speaker in each door... and with mud terrains and true dual exhaust, it seems like two speakers struggle to overcome. I currently have a sony something headunit thats maybe a year old, and I believe the door speakers are Pioneers that look fairly new but were in the truck when I got it over 2 years ago so idk much about them.
I was figuring I'd replace the door speakers with something reputable, and add two additional speakers somewhere... but honestly don't know where I could put them. Not looking for a sub/amp set up, just simply two more regular type speakers to help deliver sound.
Any help and ideas would be appreciated, thanks

Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Im havin the same problem you are. I've got new Infinity speakers in my doors but they're just not enough. I too would like to put a couple more speakers somewhere in the cab but don't know where I could.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
my 96 has 2 speakers back in the rear corners as well. you could put some 6x9s or similar in a box behind you.
Or consider an amplifier for your speakers to really push them, and or installing component speakers in the doors.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by dawhits1
my 96 has 2 speakers back in the rear corners as well. you could put some 6x9s or similar in a box behind you.
Or consider an amplifier for your speakers to really push them, and or installing component speakers in the doors.
I was thinking the back corners, but the trim pieces that go there are missing, and I always have a lot of junk behind my seats that could potentially damage the speakers. I may have to look getting good door speakers that can hold up to an amp then... and that would take care of having to place more speakers

Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM
just build a box similar dimensions to a truck sub box and make it longer and mount the speakers in it and maybe a sub in the middle.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by nflfreak43
just build a box similar dimensions to a truck sub box and make it longer and mount the speakers in it and maybe a sub in the middle.
Yeah thats always an option. The main thing is since I have a single cab, I don't have much room to store stuff, the space behind the seat is needed. If I had a box in the bed I could put my crap in there and make a box... but i'm trying to make due with what I have.

I started looking up component systems based on dawhits1's recommendation... I think that might be a good way to go as well. Get a component system and whatever size amp to get the best sound for how much I'm willing to spend.

And idea what size amp would be required to give average speakers the desired boost of power? I think the headunit only puts out 50-55w to each speaker (mine is currently wired so the Front and Rear wire goes the corresponding side's speaker- idk if that means double the wattage to that speaker or not).

Old 03-13-2010, 09:53 PM

You could replace the factory kick panels with one made for speakers. I got mine several years ago but they are made by Q-Logic, they may still make them for the older trucks.

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2010, 04:44 PM
i've got a set of 1 inch tweeters mounted on my pillars that helped alot, but i've also got the speakers in the corner of the cab behind my seat

Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 PM
I also have some tweeters in the A pillars & i just flush mounted some in the dash up by the windshild too. you should try justafordgirl's idea

Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Have you thought about making the truck quieter instead?

If it were quieter in the truck, The radio would be much easier to hear. There are several things you can do in the $300-$400 price range and some elbow grease. Since I've done it to my '89 truck, I enjoy the ride much more. Now I never need to turn up the volume more than 1/4 of the way at freeway speeds. A quieter truck is much easier on the nerves.

If anyone is interested, I'll outline what I did.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Buy better speakers? Ive got two alpine speakers in my 94 and the stock ones in the back. Ive got a 40 series Flowmaster muffler with all cats and stock muffler deleted and my speakers have no problem over coming the sound of the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Additional Speaker locations?