Pre-1997 Models

1993 Speedometer bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Speedometer bouncing

I'm looking for some information on what avenues I have... to get it fixed before I get a speeding ticket. The truck I have is a 1993 F-150 XLT Automatic 4x4 with no tach. My transmission mechanic said I have a E4OD transmission and that the problem is the gauges itself. He wont buy used ones because most of the sensors are shot on the ones he buys, then its very tuff for him to return them once he finds out that they are no good.

My questions are.... Can I just get a used speedometer (PSOM) and have Ford reset the mileage?

Or does anyone know where I can get a new set of gauges seeing that Ford stopped selling the 1993 F-150 XLT Automatic gauge clusters without the tach?

Is it possible to just get a NEW PSOM?

Or does anyone know of someone who is selling a good used set of gauges for my set up?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 AM
i have a set of gauges for auto w/o tach layin around somewhere

Last edited by aswaff400; 02-02-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Cool!....If you can find it I would be willing to buy them from you? I will pay for shipping. Are they in good condition and is the PSOM good / working?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TorqueO
The truck I have is a 1993 F-150 XLT Automatic 4x4 with no tach.
If you decide to replace the entire cluster, all that matters is that it's '92-93 F-series/Bronco. But you only need a PSOM. Read this whole caption:

My transmission mechanic said I have a E4OD transmission...
Check for yourself:

...and that the problem is the gauges itself.
The PSOM is independent of the other gauges, so it's only ONE gauge.
He wont buy used ones because most of the sensors are shot on the ones he buys...
There are no sensors in the instrument cluster, and of all the '87-96 clusters I've bought at junkyards (probably 20), I've only gotten 1 bad PSOM and no other bad gauges.
Can I just get a used speedometer (PSOM)...
Yes.
...and have Ford reset the mileage?
No. Ford can't & won't. But the caption of that first pic describes how to add miles.
Or does anyone know where I can get a new set of gauges...?
I don't think 'new' OE clusters are available anywhere.
Is it possible to just get a NEW PSOM?
Only from Ford, with your old mileage pre-programmed, but it's not worth the cost.
Or does anyone know of someone who is selling a good used set of gauges for my set up?
I have several complete clusters, but you don't need the whole thing unless you want to add a tachometer. I also have several used PSOMs with various mileages. If you want more info, e-mail me thru my SMN profile or my profile here. Meanwhile, read this caption:

The rest of the pics & captions in that album may also interest you.

Last edited by Steve83; 02-05-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
TY Steve for the heads up on everything. I have been very busy over here the past few weeks and will send you a pm about the PSOM's. I really dont need a tach seeing I didn't have one before which would lead to a gauge not working in the cluster.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
i found that mine had done that before, but it was cause my rear diff was about to blow up and pieces of the gears bent the ABS sensor in the rear diff, i got it replaced and the gears, and it went back to normal... its work checking.. its only one bolt to take it out

Old 03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
it could also be the sensor in the rear axle mine is shot, it could have broken or the gear itself could have ground down

Quick Reply: 1993 Speedometer bouncing