Pre-1997 Models

Remove Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove Transfer Case

How do you remove the connector rod that goes between the shift lever and the selector lever on the transfer case? The service manual says carefully pry it off, but I'm not familiar with this kind of fastener. I tried for about 30 minutes and made no headway, so I thought I'd ask before I destroyed something. I have a 1995 manual shift transfer case, M5OD transmision, and trying to change the clutch.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
I am having trouble picturing exactly what you are talking about. Can you get a picture?

Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I'll try - thanks

Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM
He's talking about the Control Rod (7A315) which connects ths shift lever to the Lever, Shaft and Pin Assembly (7B106) which operates the shift mechanism inside the transfer case. If you have access to a Service Manual look at section 07-07B

Unfortunately, the Manual gives no information on how to remove it but does warn to be very gentle in doing it so as not to damage the shift control selector lever.

Thank you Ford for this extreme bit of clarity.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks - It DID take gentle prying, with an 18" pry bar and a hose down of penetrating oil. It will work right off with some patience. Now if I can just figure out how to get the hydraulic line off the transmission slave cylinder without the "special tool" that no one has.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomcat6
Thanks - It DID take gentle prying, with an 18" pry bar and a hose down of penetrating oil. It will work right off with some patience. Now if I can just figure out how to get the hydraulic line off the transmission slave cylinder without the "special tool" that no one has.
The Haynes repair manual I have shows a method of using one screwdriver and pushing on the release sleeve while gently pulling on the line. It says sometimes this works. It worked for me on my '88 F-150.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks - I'm trying that, no luck yet. I think I'm a victim of prior repair by others. I pushed the sleeve back, tugged, pushed, pulled, yanked, whatever. Nothing is coming out without a fight. Probably because I'm just a professional klutz.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's easier to just remove the nut from the t-case shift lever & leave the rod attached to those plastic bushings. But you got it...

For the clutch slave line, push it INWARD first, then press & hold that tiny colored ring, and pull the line out. The special tool is nothing but a little fork that fits around the line & sits on the ring. You can make one yourself if you can bend & cut a thin piece of steel, but the pocket screwdriver works fine. If the ring seems not to move, it might have dirt inside - rinse it thoroughly with brake parts cleaner or penetrating oil to get the mud out.

Take a few minutes to look thru the Hydraulic Clutch album linked to my black Bronco in my signature, and this TSB:

Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the advice. I finally got it. Easy once you get the hang of it. If I ever do this again I'm going to just remove the shift levers, drive shafts, x member and drop the whole unit as one piece.

Quick Reply: Remove Transfer Case