Pre-1997 Models

4R70W gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big thanks to tjlyzf600!!

Had to try 3 different dealers to get the right gaskets. All three said different things.....go figure. The diagrams did help. Took 2.5 hours by myself, but did have a buddy in stand-by. He handed me beers and tools while we shot the sh*t. Here is the part number in case some one does a search. 4R70W transmission tail extension gasket for a 4x4. This part number won't work for a 2 wheel drive. Between the tranny and the extension, directly above the pan. Looked like a pan leak. F6AZ-7086-A. Torque to 25lbs and transfer case 18-43lbs.

it was easy, thanks again.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Watsonr
Had to try 3 different dealers to get the right gaskets. All three said different things.....go figure. The diagrams did help. Took 2.5 hours by myself, but did have a buddy in stand-by. He handed me beers and tools while we shot the sh*t. Here is the part number in case some one does a search. 4R70W transmission tail extension gasket for a 4x4. This part number won't work for a 2 wheel drive. Between the tranny and the extension, directly above the pan. Looked like a pan leak. F6AZ-7086-A. Torque to 25lbs and transfer case 18-43lbs.

it was easy, thanks again.
Glad it worked out easy for you.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:54 PM
ok wow finally a thread with ppl who know what this leak is from. i was trying for over a year to figure out this exact leak on our 97 4x4. we started taking the truck apart today

everyone always thinks its the pan gasket, leaking but its not on the 4r70w trannies...

anyways uhmm this job looks to be VERy difficult

please help ?

any diagram to show where bolts are that hold the adapter to the tranny ???

they are tiny 10mm head it looks like from the ones i can see anyways- about 3 of them.

crazy...

any tips would be great

also, how did tj find the gasket at a parts store?? auto zone and such here cannot get this gasket, unavailable..

odd..

all it is is a thin cheap black gasket from ford.. how can it get any worse/cheaper than that ?

i really think rtv gasket maker would be alot better..

thanks

Last edited by easterwabbit; 03-14-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 AM
It was easy. remove the rear drive shaft and set aside, unbolt the front at the t-case and push to the side. Remove linkage and unbolt the t-case. pull it backward and set to the side. It weighs 60 lbs, be ready to catch it as it slides out. unbolt the cross member transmission bolts and jack the tranny under the bell housing, remove the cover or you'll smash it. all you need is a couple inches. unbolt the extension, clean the mating surfaces and put it back together. I quoted the torque specs.

It looks hard, was fairly easy, about a 5 out of 10 for difficulty. It really took 2.5 hours and 12pak plus of beers to finish. I have a 4R70w diagram in PDF format if you'd like it. post up your mail and I'll send it.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...ml#post3633756

hmm well we actually pulled the big crossmember that is under the adapter and for the trans mount haha

we are replacing the mount because it has been ruined by the leaking trans fluid for over a year now..

ok, so you cannot unbolt the adapter plate off the end of the tranny WITH the transfer case ??

in other words you HAVE to unbolt the case off the adapter first- before you can unbolt the adapter from the tranny ?

in what order do you HAVE to unbolt parts to get to- and replace- this stupid gasket ??

where are all the adapter bolts at the tranny hidden?? i only see like 3 of them...

also are there no transfer case mount(s) ??

--------------
update: finally got the farkin gasket a bit ago, same part number as above, 9 bolt holes in it..... i can only see about three bolts holding the tranny to the adapter on ours... wtf?

------------------
another new update: well we got to looking and well the reason i dont see some of the upper adapter bolts is because well.. there are none.. they are snapped off...!

great.....

how did this happen ??

omfg........

i need diagrams!

ill pm my email addy thanks!

thanks!!

Last edited by easterwabbit; 03-14-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 PM
ok well we did it yesterday and well i dont know what drivetrain you have but on ours(4 speed auto and borg warner case) we could not pull the case back farther than about 3" which means we could not remove the adapter to replace the front gasket in which the dealer got us the wrong one of anyways and it was sunday. so big fail there. the case only goes back a few inches before hitting the crossmember with the torsion bars for the front control arms.

and we barely got a gap between the output and input shafts to get the transfer case gasket on

what is the deal here ?

i used RTV gasket maker for the tranny output

so far working no leak anymore

what a job.

fords are the hardest to work on by far PITA and it is BS

nothing but trouble

thanks

Last edited by easterwabbit; 03-16-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 AM
What year and model are you working on? Seems like to me that you are working on a different tranny than the 4R70W. i would check with a dealer to make sure that your truck is a 4R70W. Also you asked how i got the gasket at Advance. You mis-read, I bought a cheap Pan gasket at Advance, not the extension housing gasket. RTV will work for now, but i would advise that you start looking for leaks within a year. Spend the little more $$ and get the ones directly from your ford dealer. Much better quality.

Quick Reply: 4R70W gasket