Pre-1997 Models

Loose Front-End

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2000, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loose Front-End

My '95 w/4.9, 5-speed, 116,000 mi. has a chronic problem with the front-end in that it drifts to the right. Very unstable in grooved pavement - wants to follow grooves not matter how hard I hold the wheel. Steering wheel is also loose. Had alignments done and steering wheel tightened by Ford dealer, but problem came back about 10K later.

Dealer says it's due to different model tires. Fronts are the same but rears are different. They are only different in style not spec! Why would it always drift one way but not another? I would understand if the left side tires were different from the right but not when its front/rear difference.

I've always known that Ford front-ends have had "problems" but I don't know what or why? I simply want to fix it but not by bringing it to the dealer again just so that I will need to bring it back 10K later....again. If it is tires fine, but I'd like some opinions on this. Any help here would be great!

Old 01-26-2000, 01:47 PM
My dad has a '69 Ford pickup and had a similar problem. We called it "road walk". It seemed to go where it wanted to. Especially passing a semi truck. Even though yours is a '95 the front suspension is similar. He replaced the bushings in what I call the trailing arms that come back from where the I-beam attaches to spindle. I hope that's a good description. They have a rubber insulated bushing that was worn out on his truck. He tried different tires (brand and size) with no help. Then when he replaced those bushings it drove MUCH better. Now he has 275/60's with no problem.

Old 01-26-2000, 04:21 PM
Another easy thing, check your tire pressures and make sure they're at the correct psi because a little bit will make the wheel pull to either side.

Old 01-26-2000, 06:15 PM
Talking

Hey steven, just how hard is it to replace those bushings in the trailing arms?

Old 01-26-2000, 08:16 PM
Rich: Sorry, I don't know how hard is was to change the bushings. He didn't do it himself. I don't remember how much he paid either. Not much help huh.

Old 01-27-2000, 08:49 PM
Cool

A very common problem is the drag link goes bad.My 2cents.

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna and Astatic power mic, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Old 01-28-2000, 12:44 AM
Banned
Not very hard, but you'll need something like a 1 1/8" wrench for that big nut. Rebuilt the front end in my '68 once. Not too tough a job as long as you have a pickle fork, a good sized ball peen hammer (at least 16 oz.), and big wrenches.

Quick Reply: Loose Front-End