Pre-1997 Models

hard to get into 4 low

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard to get into 4 low

I am having a really hard time getting my truck to go into 4 low. Going from 2 wheel drive to 4 hi is really easy as always, just pull straight back.

But a few days ago i was offroading and had it in 4 lo most of the time. It went in and out really easy previous to this. I could put in 4 hi and push down and pull back and it went really easily into 4 low.

Today i tried it again, and I couldn't get it into 4 low at all, no matter how hard i pushed down it wouldn't move. So I was just out messing with it a little to see if I could get it figured out and it will go into 4 low I just have to hit the lever straight down with a bit of force or use two hands to push it down then pull back to engage 4 low.

Does anyone have any idea why it might be so hard to put in 4 low now? Nothing changed about the truck just playing on the trails a little and now i really have to force the lever down, not like it used to be where I could just give it a nudge down i really have to put a lot of force on it now.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it make a difference if you are in drive, or neutral?

Old 09-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Ive never had that problem but when it got stuck in low Ihad to back up a bit to unbind things. You might go somplace where the wheels can spin a bit and shift in and out a few times and go front and back to make sure all is well.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Need to know the year. Different shifter designs have different known problems for different years.

Adrianspeeder

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
it's a 93, 5 speed, 5.0 liter.

It doesn't matter if it's in neutral or not, it does it whether the truck is running or not as well. As long as the brake is pressed in it doesn't matter about anything else.

It's just really hard to push down on the lever, can't do it one handed because it takes a lot of force to push down on it then pull back for 4 low.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:23 PM
well i got it to work again, i guess it was binding up due to lack of use. i was out messing with it again trying to figure it out and after put it in and out of 4 low about 8 or 9 times it got loose and was back to normal. i can get it in there easy now, with just one hand and a little bit of effort but much easier now.

I guess it just needed to loosen up a little because i don't think the previous owner used 4 wheel much at all and i'm sure he rarely if ever used 4 low.

seems all is good for now, i was trying to take off the boot and cover but the screws are all rusted and seem stripped out, couldn't get it off i wish i could have put some oil or something in there, not really sure what it looks like though. i guess it's good enough for now.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:55 PM
that happened to me too. I crawled underneath and sprayed it with a bunch of wd-40 and had someone in the truck push it up and down to work it loose.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2006, 01:31 AM
In had the same problem with mine. I finaly found that if I put it in neutral and pushed down right from 2hi and pulled back it worked a lot easier. Just don't stop moving the shifter. If you stop go back and start from 2hi again.
I also think the more you use it the easier it is. Like everything else if you don't use it for awhile it gets cranky.

Quick Reply: hard to get into 4 low