Pre-1997 Models

How much does a lift cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does a lift cost?

Hi friends,

How much does a 3" or 4" lift kit cost including installation on average?

How much do you reckon a small-town mechanic would do it for (the guy hardly charges anything for his normal services)?

My truck is a 1987 F150 4x4 manual if that matters at all.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Blow me down, no one here has ever bought a lift kit and installation for a pre-'97 F150?

Old 07-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Easy now, things move a little slow down here in the basement....

Better question would be to ask, "How much do you have to spend?"

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just depends on the brand, how much lift and so on.

I have researched it a little through truck mags and online places.

Here is a rough estimate for the parts. Cant guess at labor, you'll have to stop and ask who you want to do it.

This came from Four Wheeler magazine.
4-6 in lift from tuff country w/out shocks 800.00-1000.00
Same lift with shocks 950.00-1030.00

I rounded these off as they will vary from dealer to dealer.

This is from Petersons 4WD
Rough Country Supsension 4 in lift 449.00
Same lift but 6 in lift 489.00
This advertisement didnt say if it was with shocks or not, I would guess this is just for the hardware to do the lift.

As you can see it will vary, you just have to put some time into looking online and in magazines for the best deal.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Also don't forget the price of new tires and rims.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Also keep in mind that (in my opinion) the true way to lift a truck in the rear is to use new leaf springs and not a 4 inch block. A block will save hundreds of dollars but there is a possibilty of axle wrap when off roading and the block slipping out. Also if your old springs are sagging your rear end will sag if you block it.

I would use extended radius arms in the front if possible, not just drop brackets.

Basically i would use a quality lift made for ariculation and safety. not just the look. Thats why i havent lifted mine. It does get pricy, and at least another 100-180 each tire and for cheap rims 80+ each. I would factor in about 300-400 for installation (thats what les swaub told me long ago).

This is a local place for me but good site.

http://www.jackit.com/ford/Ford_twin..._full_size.htm

Old 07-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Easy now, things move a little slow down here in the basement....
Haha, that made me laugh. :P I think it's kind of sad that this forum is dead compared to all of the others. Curse all of the 1997 + models! I love the older styled ones that aren't so rounded off and plastic-y. Anyway, back on subject..

In regards to everything posted by you guys:
I kind of plan on spending $600-1200 (including installation.)

What would you guys personally pick for the best (price and quality) usually offered? - Internet, Magazines, or something my mechanic can order from a catalogue he has?

Also: do I have to get new tires/rims? (Sorry if that is the stupidest question on earth.) I'm not sure the size of my current tires, but I can include a picture:

I mean is it like a requirement to get new tires/rims for a 3-5" lift on a truck? I know it will be awfully funny looking, but is it something I absolutely need (right away)?

I'll also mention that I'm going more for the look of the truck, not much offroading (at least not while gas is $3/gal here.)

Thanks again for all of your help and posts - I really appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Well you don't need new wheels, but then again you don't need a lift...

Sharp Lariat! Looks like you got 30" or 31" (235-75-R15 or so) tires on there with the stock 8inch wide rims (I think they are 8"). Heres my Lariat at stock height with 33"s and 10inch wide rims stuffed under there to give you some ideas.

Me on the right...

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Thats a nice bronco!

heres mine..just 31's on there but i like it.
Name:  IMG_0073.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  126.8 KB

Old 07-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Whats the badge under the XLT say?

Clear turn signals look sharp!

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Lightbulb

Damn, you both have some nice wheels!! (and I mean that in two ways. )

Out of curiousity, is there any way I can achieve a "big" look with my truck without having to get a lift? I originally wanted a lift to make my truck look more "monster-ous", but is there any way I can achieve that without actually buying a lift (and doing something else with the wheels or something)? I'm thinking if there is, maybe it'd also be cheaper.

I seen this truck on eBay, I kind of like the way the wheels are. I don't know if it has a lift or not (I'm guessing it doesn't)? Assuming it doesn't have a lift, what exactly did the guy that owns it do to make it have that 'monster' type look to it? Is it just the way the rims and tires are, or am I missing something other than that?

This truck (to me) also has the bigger look to it, but unlike the other one - I'm thinking this one might have a lift?

Anyhoo, to make my truck look bigger and tougher (like lift kits often do) is there any way I can still give it that effect without having to buy a lift kit and do something with the wheels or something (assuming it'd be cheaper, or maybe the better thing to do)?

Old 07-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks! Oh why did you post that first one??? must resist bidding...

Looks just like mine with 33's and wider rims, but maybe not as wide as mine. A wider rim fattens out the tire at the expense of height. I went with 10'' to get a wide look without going past the fenders which the cops are **** about around here.

Second one has a 3inch body lift as per the description. 33's as well.

I'm not a fan of the lifted trucks to tell the truth. The biggest tire/rim combo stuffed in there stock is what does it for me.

To let you in on another thing... Fullsize truck don't = cheap in anyway. The rims were 120 and the tires were 200.

Adrianspeeder

Last edited by adrianspeeder; 07-16-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:08 PM
andrwm,

It sounds like you are wanting to do the same thing that I am wanting to do.

I have a 1989 F-150 Supercab Longbed XLT Lariat 4x4 with the exact same rims and I think the truck does not look like a 4x4. I was thinking that just a taller tire would do the trick, but I do not know how big of a tire the stock rims can handle (and the body without rubbing).

I am also not real partial to lifted trucks, but I do want the truck to look like a 4x4.

I have seen 2" lift kits, and have thought about that, but is it worth lifting 2 inches?

Old 07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Just called 4Wheel Parts in Dallas. I've been curious about prices on a 4" for my '88 myself.

A 4" lift would be about $800 parts and $600 labor. That includes shocks and alignment.

Quick Reply: How much does a lift cost?