Pre-1997 Models

New Member with Issues! (not mentally LOL)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
{UPDATE) New Member with Issues!

I am new here and only have sundays off to do things at home. I am having some issues with my 95 5.0 2wd.

1- After a filter change and add fluid, tranny is leaking still. I fixed the pan seal leak but now it is somewhere esle. It is a little overfull but not much, about 1/4" past full mark.

2- Plug wires will get changed since i dont think they ever have been. Engine has been missing and plugs didnt fix it.

3- Thought maybe alignment was off on wheels because of excessive road noise. Turns out it was rear axle. However tonight it got worse, with a nice jingling noise that is hardly noticable but occurs around 25-35 mph. that is the main issue. I have had this truck for 4 years and it has 128k miles.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Last edited by Radio; 07-22-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Is this an Auto-trans?
2. Definately replace the wires. Normally they are toast by 100k And you might as well replace the cap and rotor while your at it, if they havnt been replaced yet.
3. Have you had the rear end inspected? How about hubs or U-joints?

Old 07-09-2006, 02:14 AM
I am on an extremely tight budget, so wires will be first and I will check the cap and rotor. It is auto transmission 4R70W, i cant remember that model. I havent had the rear axle looked at, and I dont know any tech friends. I was going to pull the cover and see if any shavings or damage was apparent. I will also check U-joints and wheel rotors. thanks

Last edited by Radio; 07-23-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I just got back from Autozone with about $100 less in my wallet. On my way home a friend of mine on the radio told me that my wheel bearings may need to be replaced and that was causing the sound from the rear end. So I will check them and change rear axle lube anyway. I suppose that lifting the wheels and spinning by hand would be the appropriate way to check?

Old 07-09-2006, 02:28 PM
What kind of noise is it? There is a huge difference between the "rear end" being the rear differential, and wheel bearings. Typically a bad wheel bearing or hub will crease a screaching or even a metal on metal grinding noise.

Checking for accesive "play" by wiggling a tire when attached to the car is check for the wheel hubs/bearings.

Changing the fluid in the diff is never a bad thing. While doing it you can check things out, the condition of the diff itself and make note of the color of the fluid that is removed.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So have you resovled your issues now that you changed the plug wires and changed the rearend fluid and checked the wheel bearings.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:59 PM
It is a humming noise like if i had mud tires on the street, so far I only know that it is coming from the rear of the vehicle. Yesterday there was a faint jingling noise along with it but it only occurs from 25-30 mph.

I changed the distributor cap, rotor button, and plug wires. Plug were changed last week. also changing the pcv valve. the cap and rotor had rust and corrosion on the internal contacts and two of the plug ends had some splitting. the new wireset i bought have grips on the angled ends so maby it will make maintenance easier for my big hands.

Now I will inspect the rear axle. I had to have a break, it is a scorcher today.

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM
All I could do today was check the fluid level. It was 1/2 liters low. Also on the end of the fill plug there was some fine shavings in the grease.

Last edited by Radio; 07-09-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Thats normal. Even if it isnt low, I would still pull the cover and replace the diff fluid with synthetic. I just did and it took care of my rear end chirping I was hearing. Make sure to make a new diff cover gasket with red RTV.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 PM
I pulled the cover and all of the gears and parts look very good. There is very little wear. However the fluid must have had alot of moisture because it looked like chocolate milk. I also replaced the seals and wheel bearings, and added new lube. I have 8.8 with 331 gearset.

I went for a test drive and to return the slide hammer...It makes the same darn noise, humming like mud tires and jingling form 25 to 30 mph. So tomorrow I will drop the driveline and put in new U-joints. Man for 5 years this truck has been no problems, now it wants all new parts. Any ideas?

Old 07-23-2006, 11:54 PM
I took my truck to a friends house and he jacked it up and spun the tires. There is a knocking and vibration. He said that it probably is the differential bearings or the pinion bearing, and to hope it isnt the pinion bearing.

Has anyone replaced these before?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Differential bearings

Yesterday, I replace the differential bearings on the truck and it stilll made no difference. I have the same sound through the same speeds. I used a stethoscope to attempt to pin point the noise. It is not the Pinion bearing or the U-joints. Maybe rear transmission bearing?

Everyone is telling me to crank the stereo and ignore it.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Same problem as you Radio

Radio & Forum Members,

I have a 94 F150 auto/4X4 with similar sound in the rear, humming at 25 to 35 mph like mud tires on pavement. I also get a strange jingle noise that's quiet but appears to be getting worse.

Anyway, I was wondering if you solved the problem other than turning up the radio? I replaced all the parts you did, ujoints, wheel bearings, etc. But still have same problem.

In my case however, when I let off the accelator the humming noise goes away, but returns as soon as I step on the gas. I was thinking transmission so I had a friend ride in the back and listen for the noise to attempt to pin point the location (hey, I'm getting desperate) and he believes it's coming too far back (wheels & differential area) to be the transmission. But just in case, does anybody know if a transmission bearing would make such a humming noise and go away when I let off the gas? I did realize I only get the jingle noise when I let off the gas and when coming down in speed.

Perhaps the humming noise and jingle are unrelated?

Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
It is probably the pinion bearing. only thing I haven't replaced. My money kinda ran out so I have to live with it for a while. I used Valvoline dura blend 80/90 and it quietened the noise a little. After the pinion bearing gets replaced I am using Amsoil severe gear lube.

Welcome to the Forums!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by don94xlt
Radio & Forum Members,

I have a 94 F150 auto/4X4 with similar sound in the rear, humming at 25 to 35 mph like mud tires on pavement. I also get a strange jingle noise that's quiet but appears to be getting worse.

Anyway, I was wondering if you solved the problem other than turning up the radio? I replaced all the parts you did, ujoints, wheel bearings, etc. But still have same problem.

In my case however, when I let off the accelator the humming noise goes away, but returns as soon as I step on the gas. I was thinking transmission so I had a friend ride in the back and listen for the noise to attempt to pin point the location (hey, I'm getting desperate) and he believes it's coming too far back (wheels & differential area) to be the transmission. But just in case, does anybody know if a transmission bearing would make such a humming noise and go away when I let off the gas? I did realize I only get the jingle noise when I let off the gas and when coming down in speed.

Perhaps the humming noise and jingle are unrelated?
That is your rear-end gears...pinion etc

Quick Reply: New Member with Issues! (not mentally LOL)