Pre-1997 Models

Steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering noise

Hi all,

Anyone ever replace the steering box on these beasts? It's making a nasty cracking noise while turning the wheel back and forth. I thought I might have had a crack in the frame, but when I checked it out, I saw none. I am considering replacing the steering box. Is there a heavier duty box than the stock one? Is the F350 box heavier duty, and/or will it bolt in?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it more of a clunk? if it is a loud clunk check the steering bushings. the steering box is very easy to replace but make sure all the seals are in good shape before you put it in

Old 06-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree, check all tie rods first, then if that isnt it worry about the steering box.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:23 AM
I think I have the same problem. I describe mine as a popping noise when the wheel is cranked back and forth, but usually only when standing still. With 100K miles and 35" tires, I don't think it's unusual to have a few odd noises. I did an inspection and didn't find anything loose, broken, or leaking.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by tomcat6
I think I have the same problem. I describe mine as a popping noise when the wheel is cranked back and forth, but usually only when standing still. With 100K miles and 35" tires, I don't think it's unusual to have a few odd noises. I did an inspection and didn't find anything loose, broken, or leaking.
did you check your steering bushings? i just had to do mine because it was doing the same thing you describing

Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. The noise is definately a "crack" sound, and is much more disturbing than other typical "old truck" creaks, pops, and groans that I am used to, given that I've got an estimated 180k miles on it. I had all of the tie rods replaced 6 months ago with Moogs. I don't see any evidence of defects, so I am going to pull the gearbox. I just picked up a new one, as well as a new pitman arm. The parts guy insists that the 33x12.5 tires won't be a problem for the new box, so I won't bother hunting for a mod here. I will be doing the wrenching this week, and I intend to install the Troyer e-fan kit at the same time. Wish me luck - the fan kit looks like a tricky job...

Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 AM
noise after geearbox install - help!

OK. We replaced the steering gearbox, and the job seemed to go well, with the exception of the fact that we lined up the pitman arm 90 degrees off. I was planning on pulling it apart, and realigning it, so the steering wheel would be straight. However, I noticed that when I attempt to turn the steering wheel to it's left lock, it seems to bind up, and makes a nasty crunching noise, as if something is preventing full travel. The noise seems to be coming from the steering wheel itself, not from the gearbox. Yikes! I hope we didn't booger something up behind the steering wheel. Any advice?

PS- the same wrenching session included installing the Troyer e-fan kit. It was a pain in the butt mounting the fans to the radiator, but overall, it's sweet! The truck runs great, cools well, and feels like we got some nice HP gains there - especially with the AC running.

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Darn... tough crowd. I took it to the shop. they said it's the clock spring for the airbags. I wouldn't have tried to take that apart anyway. The good news is that the problem with the original steering cracking noise definately was the replaced gearbox, so thanks for the advice.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Steering noise