Pre-1997 Models

Auto to manual hub change

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto to manual hub change

I need to replace my passenger side auto hub because it keeps unlocking and grinding like crazy as i go down the road, and the wheel gets very hot. I took a spring out to keep it in locked position so it wouldn't grind, but i think it still might. The truck has been sitting for almost 5 months now because of a gas tank leak and an oil leak, and because of this hub. How easy is it to swap the crappy auto's for a set of manuals? I also heard it's good for up to 3mpg increase in gas mileage to do this, and when i'm getting about 8mpg, i feel it may be necessary. Anyone do this before or had this problem before? Thanks for the help. Also, what is a good/cheap set of manual hubs. I don't need anything special, just ones that will get me by. It's not my offroading truck....yet.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Easy swap. Will take you maybe 45 mins for the on side, then prolly 15 for the other. You might save a mpg or two if your auto hubs are hanging up and you switch to manuals freeing your front axle. Superwinch and Milemarker are good hub locks. I run Warn's, but you can also spend a little more and run Warn Premiums.

Here is a step by step photo guide that will help you out.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...571#post638571

This procedure is good for 80 to mid 94 auto hubs with the five screw cap. Mid 94 to 96 auto hubs with three screw cap require a slightly different procedure and a conversion kit.

Also, if anyone has an 88 with the factory flange style manual hub, you need a donor axle from another year to basicly rip everything off and swap to do a hub conversion.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-24-2005, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot, i'm going to have to get on that soon. I've seen auto to manual hub swap kits, and then just manual hub kits. Is there really any difference? I've read on both of them that they convert from full time 4x4 to 4x2 so i assume they both can replace the autos...right? The manual hub kits are cheaper than the swap kits.

Quick Reply: Auto to manual hub change