Pre-1997 Models

89 f150 no spark problem Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 89 f150 no spark problem Please Help

It started out as an everyday problem hard to start when damp.. Been about 1 year since my last tune up. But one day I was trying to start my truck I went back outside to try starting it once again and still didn't start. So I disengaged the key from the start position and put it to the off position and removed the key. Well the truck was still trying to start on its own.. Even with the key out of the truck. I got out and it started on its own, but I couldn't stop it from trying to start still.. Thinking maybe the starter was locked in the starting position.. I tried to pop the hood in time to dismount the battery but was too late.. A Loud bang and that was the end of it. And a loud super loud fire cracker loud bang came from what sounded like behind the dash somewhere. I went in the house to see if my girl hear it, she freaked out.. wondering what that was. She said it was so loud it sounded like it was right there in the livingroom with her.. So went to Canadian Tire thinking that I needed the tune up anyways... I got all the required stuff.. Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, pvc valve, oil, and fuel filter. Replaced it all and tried firing it up.. Fired first try no problem... Thinking... Wow.. Must've fixed whatever that big bang was.. So I was on route to work about 20 mins after all cleaned up from tune up and it just died on me without warning.. Like I was out of gas... Didn't bog or anything.. Just quit on me.. So had a friend help me push it to moms house thankfull she was close to where I was, and we tried troubleshooting.. Well to our surprize, no spark in plugs, ignition coil and there was little power going into the ignition coil. Tried following the wires to see where they go to maybe find and test the ignition module, but couldn't find it. Still cannot locate it.. I have a EEC-IV Computer somewhere in the truck. Found a few computers under the dash and smelled them.. Didn't have any scent of burning at all... Also unsure on how to test them.. So Since I had a Ford OBO1 tester from Canadian Tire. I decided to try it out and see what the codes are.. Well too my surprize once again, Its not functioning for me.. Something inline I beleive is stopping me from even checking out the problem codes... I tried doing it directly to the battery ground and the plug required to get the codes and still nothing..
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I believe the big bang theory did it to my truck, but talking to people, they think I'm going crazy... Hehe
Please email me back at a_busy_man@canada.com as I don't have access to computer to often to goto this message group... I just use an email of a friends for the time being.. He checks it for me.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me what I am doing wrong. Or offer any suggestions.
Vince
a_busy_man@canada.com

Quick Reply: 89 f150 no spark problem Please Help