Pre-1997 Models

Wheel hop and tire spin

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hop and tire spin

I've got a 95 f150 long bed 4.9 5 speed that wheel hops extreemly bad under any sort of acceleration, worse on turns from a dead stop. Tires are fairly new BFGs. Any idea or solutions to this problem short of leaving the bed loaded at all times. I was going to start by replacing the crusty looking shocks on it, and them possibly some generic traction bars. Also I was considering a powertrax unit for the rear axle as its an open 3.08 diff right now that sucks in loose sand or dirt even in 4 wheel drive and with snow on the way I wan't to be ready. I installed one on my friends Monte Carlo a few years ago and he hasn't had a problem, but I figure my truck will see greater loads that a passinger car, any expirence or opinions would be great

Old 11-13-2005, 05:24 PM
I would definitely start with replacing the shocks and anything else that looks worn. I don't think you need traction bars the 4.9 doesnt make enough power to cause a lot of spring wrap enless something else is broke.

-Jon

Old 11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
mine does the exact same thing. i got all new shocks. would something like this get rid of it? and would this restrict flex?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...003505/c-10101

Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
deal with it

replace your shocks. but other than that there aint much you can do.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a 95 with the 4.9 and I can tell you that shocks will help. Also I don't know how you drive but if I stomp on it it's going to spin the tires every time so I try to be as gentle as possible on acceleration. I know it's not as fun, but.....

Maybe also try starting in 2nd gear. Even when I'm driving carefully, 1st will wometimes spin the tires in the rain-- but 2nd usually won't. I know a lot of people that skip 1st entirely in this truck for just that reason, with no apparent ill effects.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Replacing the shocks is a good start. Another thing that I would do would be to go through the rear suspension and tighten up all the bolts. A lot of times the U-bolts on the leaf springs will loosen up on you. The only way I could get rid off my wheel hop was to install ladder bars.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop and tire spin