Pre-1997 Models

maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maintenance questions

I live in Arizona-- and as such, try to do all my preventative/routine maintenance this time of year (there's nothing worse than sweating your you-know-what off over your truck in 122 degree weather!)

Anyway, I am looking at getting busy soon just going throughmy truck's annual checkup and had a couple of questions-- specifically, about the transmission. I have the mazda m50d behind a 4.9.

Is there any way of changing the clutch fluid? (other than the obvious method of taking a turkey baster and doing it a few drops at a time)... I have replaced all other fluids but that seems to be such a pain to bleed if air gets into it that I haven't bothered messing with it.

Also, this truck has approx. 150k...I am wondering about how much life is left in the clutch. I've driven a lot of manuals but this is my first with a high enough mileage to worry about it. Is there a way to externally diagnose how much life is left in your clutch? I expect probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

thanks in advance, I really appreciate all responses. This site has been great to me and continues to be a wealth of knowledge.

Andrew

Old 12-03-2005, 02:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If it is working fine, no slipping and normal pedal feel, just leave it be and count yourself lucky.

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's about what I figured-the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is sometimes too true. BUT, so is 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and due to the whole hygroscopic thing with brake (clutch) fluid I thought it might be worth it. Is it even worth giving it the turkey baster treatment?

thanks
Andrew

Old 12-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The metal line that runs to the tranny is famous for trapping air bubbles in it, making bleeding the slave a major PITA sometimes. I would just make sure it's full, and leave it be. You'll have to change the fluid soon enough when your clutch finally goes.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and belive me, changing the clutch is a pain! i just had to change it in my 94 (5.0) and i still dont have it bleed right

Quick Reply: maintenance questions