Pre-1997 Models

302 Died in my 93

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 Died in my 93

93 F150 5.0L Finally died. Suggs?
Hey all, Got a 93 F150 w/130K miles. Pulling a car hauler with 3 quads @ 70+ a couple of weeks ago and engine started losing power. After further investigation, # 7 has no compression and I'm thinking piston/wall related since applying air pressure in the cylinder comes out the dipstick tube. Any thoughts on what let go. Possibly wrist pin scratched cylinder wall, burnt piston, broken ring??

Secondly, advise on replacements. Don't want to spend alot on an overhaul. Grew up working on cars @ my Dad's auto garage, I don't do it for a profession but nonetheless can hold my own. I'd like to upgrade to a 351, but when we converted my dads 79 from a 302 to 351, it was a nightmare, and it wasn't even injected. Finally had to get parts off an econoline to get it to fit.

Anyway, I don't think I want to goto the trouble and time to overhaul this particular engine, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've considered one of Advanced Auto or Autojunks rebuilds. Only going to keep the truck for a year or so to pull a travel trailer then upgrade to a diesel or newer 4x4. Gimmee your thoughts?

Also should I jack with the tranny? Can you recommend a good internet source. Absolutely no used 92-96 5.0L engines available at any bone yard within 50 miles. Central IL.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Note this is a duplicate post to the one in the engine section. Wanted to get as many opinions as possible.
Thanks,

Old 02-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Cool

Wow, my worse nightmare has become yours. Although I don't know a whole lot about engines, I would have to say that if you are getting air out the dip stick tube then your rings are probably gone. I currently have low compression (all eight cylinders are between 70-82 psi each) myslef and have been looking for options.

Here is a place that I have found that sells engines.

Ford Motors 'N Engines

Their prices aren't that bad, so you could put another motor in the truck somewhat cheaply.

I have looked into a 351 option for mine and Neal "The HP Freak" and JMC also believe that this is the way inwhich I should go as well. You get more torque for about the same amount of money when comparing either a short or long block situation. I would go with the long block as this will get you a new set of heads. If you wanted more, you could have the heads ported and polished OR just get the short block and buy another set of good heads. You would have to either find a person that can modify a chip so the 5.0L computer will run the 5.8L engine OR just buy a 5.8L computer at a junk yard. Stay away from engines in anything from 1996 on up as they have OBD II system instead of the OBD I like you have in your truck. I believe that your accessories should switch over from the 302 but you will need another set of upper and lower intakes and possibly accessory brackets depending how much has changed between the engines.

If you are looking at getting rid of the truck in a year, why not just sell the truck for parts and get the new one now? Would save a lot of headaches in the long run.

One last thing in my hugE speech is check with PKRWD, he has his own shop in California. He maybe able to help more in this situation as well. Hope this helps !!!

Oh and welcome to the board.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 02-21-2003, 07:21 AM
really where you need to check is here http://www.jasperengines.com/frames.html
they are one of the top engine remanufactures in the us ,
only one problem though . switching to a 351 block from a 302 requires an outright purchase as they only exchange like engines and won't exchange a 302 for a 351 .

Old 02-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks!!

Thanks guys..

Actually I found out that a bad fuel pressure regulator supposedly goes bad and hydrolocks the block. Damaging the wrist pin and scoring the block. At least that's what happed to another guy with a 5.0 93 F150. Apparently Ford has issued a recall and they reimbursed him for his engine replacement. I'm going to pursue this and see if it's an option.....

Otherwise, Jasper is probably my choice.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Some of my friends did the conversion in a bronco, It wasn't too bad but they used the 302 computer with the 351 and it ran well.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is Beastie on a friends computer. Another option that I would take would be to get a Ford Racing 302 Long block. It comes with 345hp when used wit ha GT40 upper and lower intake, and headers, so if you put the stock intake on it, it would probablly be good for about 300hp. It will cost about $3500.

Quick Reply: 302 Died in my 93