Dcotor Shortage

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dcotor Shortage

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb...ctors-20130210

Here comes the doctor shortage. Gee I seem to remember someone looking and sounding a lot like me saying there would be a shortage. I also remember saying that this shortage will come at a bad time resulting in an even larger shortage since many doctors are hitting a period when they are eligible to retire.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1depd
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb...ctors-20130210

Here comes the doctor shortage. Gee I seem to remember someone looking and sounding a lot like me saying there would be a shortage. I also remember saying that this shortage will come at a bad time resulting in an even larger shortage since many doctors are hitting a period when they are eligible to retire.
I think you're referring to this thread : https://www.f150online.com/forums/po...ffs-start.html

The more gov't interferes in life, the worse things get. What is even more insane is that Obama even stated a few days ago that the federal gov't isn't large enough.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
An impending Dr. shortage is just one of the many problems we are going to have with Obamacare.

Declining quality of care and higher costs are coming.

We have not even begun to feel the effects. Give it three more years and we will have a much better idea of the huge impact of the ACA. Eligible plans will be expensive, and fines for not having one will be painful.

Some employers will go out of business, and millions of employees that keep their jobs will get cut back to under 30 hours a week. Full time = 40 hours. Part time = 20 hours. Obama time = 29 hours.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
Some employers will go out of business, and millions of employees that keep their jobs will get cut back to under 30 hours a week. Full time = 40 hours. Part time = 20 hours. Obama time = 29 hours.
That's going to do wonders for the unemployment rate, but unfortunately you will have to work at least two jobs to be able to afford anything.

The good thing for employers is with more workers working fewer hours, you can shedule thier time to fit your busy times better, this will result in fewer man hours being worked to get the same job done. So if you cut all 200 of your people to 29 hours per week you will not need to hire 50 more people. You will be able to get by quite nicely with a total of 220-230 people. This can have huge impacts when looking at large employers that have many people who work customer service. Although this doesn't belong here, who ever really stays on topic anyway. Something else I've heard large companies doing with their full time employees who can't be cut to 29 hours, is laying off one person and paying 10 O/T to the remaining four employees. This results in lower expenses for the business, by not having to either pay the benefits or fewer people to figure the penalties on.

All of these "unintended consequences" are a result of the Dems failing to understand that private businesses will do whatever they can to find the most efficient business model. That is a basic tenet of the free market.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An interesting article on the subject. Not sure it will be a step forward if what they state happens.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...ntcmp=features

Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Personally I don't care if I see a PA or not. My current provider is a PA. She has only got it wrong once, but then so did my dermatologist. Changed dermatologists and found out I am allergic to various things and are now working to control the reactions and my exposure to various chemicals. The old dermatologist would have had me coming in every month for shots and more medication until I died. Overall I am satisfied with my PA. Every time I make an appointment I am asked if I want to see the doctor or the PA. Unfortunately once Obamacare really kicks in I think getting to see either one is going to be after a long wait.

Perhaps the government should have donsomethinggn to the effect of providing grants to medical schools to expand facilities and allow for more doctors, nurses, and PA's to be trained. As a result of the grant the schools would have to provide 20-40 needs based low tuition slots for say the next 50 years. If any of the needs based students drop out of medical school for any reason they must repay the full cost of their tuition. The government would more than make their money back from the increase in number odoctorsrs, nurses, and PAs with increased incomes. And it is a win for the medical schools since after the time period they will have an expanded program with the prospect of future tuition increases.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems it may already be a problem in Florida.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...al-association

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1depd
Personally I don't care if I see a PA or not. My current provider is a PA. She has only got it wrong once, but then so did my dermatologist. Changed dermatologists and found out I am allergic to various things and are now working to control the reactions and my exposure to various chemicals. The old dermatologist would have had me coming in every month for shots and more medication until I died. Overall I am satisfied with my PA. Every time I make an appointment I am asked if I want to see the doctor or the PA. Unfortunately once Obamacare really kicks in I think getting to see either one is going to be after a long wait.

Perhaps the government should have donsomethinggn to the effect of providing grants to medical schools to expand facilities and allow for more doctors, nurses, and PA's to be trained. As a result of the grant the schools would have to provide 20-40 needs based low tuition slots for say the next 50 years. If any of the needs based students drop out of medical school for any reason they must repay the full cost of their tuition. The government would more than make their money back from the increase in number odoctorsrs, nurses, and PAs with increased incomes. And it is a win for the medical schools since after the time period they will have an expanded program with the prospect of future tuition increases.
The down side with that is the government wants to cut what the Doctors can charge, so after paying rent/lease, staff, & insurance there isn't enough left to make it atractive.

They are trying to squeeze the tooth paste tube from both ends and can't figure out why no tooth paste is comming out.........typical Government style solution to a problem that didn't exist before they started helping.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM
The "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act"?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/insure...rticle/2529523

Next stop? Single payer.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 AM
With how poorly written the law was, I think single payer was the actual goal.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Gotta love the news media. My SIL teaches medicine at a national college, teaches ER medicine at the city hospital where he lives, and practices hyperbaric medicine. Yeah, he's a busy guy but they do make it worth his time. He has a 4 year waiting list for the college classes and there's not near enough hospitals for the guys to do their residency. There's no shortage of doctors in the supply line so much as there is a shortage of places for doctors to complete their training. Hospitals are full of folks doing residency. Cardiac training takes only the absolute best. If you can't maintain an A average in the class, you are dropped to make room for those that can. There is no doctor shortage guys, just common sense on the part of those whose sole purpose is to keep the masses stirred up and well prepared for paranoia. Refuse to be a part of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM
The reports I've heard going all the way back to Bush's first term said the same thing. The residency hospitals were running at full capacity to maintain status quo. I don't think they will be able to maintain that status when a huge block of doctors decide to retire. At one point becoming a lawyer was a surefire way to make a whole lot of money. A lot of people started going to law school. Now it'll guarantee you a job paying 40-50k to start. The same can happen with doctors, if they expand the schools (whether it is residency programs or medical schools doesn't matter they're still schools). Train more doctors and their prices will start to come down. The market based schools don't have the need nor desire to increase the number of slots without outside encouragement because it'll cut into their bottom line.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Gotta love the news media. My SIL teaches medicine at a national college, teaches ER medicine at the city hospital where he lives, and practices hyperbaric medicine. Yeah, he's a busy guy but they do make it worth his time. He has a 4 year waiting list for the college classes and there's not near enough hospitals for the guys to do their residency. There's no shortage of doctors in the supply line so much as there is a shortage of places for doctors to complete their training. Hospitals are full of folks doing residency. Cardiac training takes only the absolute best. If you can't maintain an A average in the class, you are dropped to make room for those that can. There is no doctor shortage guys, just common sense on the part of those whose sole purpose is to keep the masses stirred up and well prepared for paranoia. Refuse to be a part of it.
I have a relative who is a plastic surgeon that has several friends that have chosen to retire early for the specific reason of not wanting to deal with Obamacare. Even my personal physician retired early about a year ago for this reason alone.

My relative also says that many people that are being trained in the US are here just for the training/education with no intention of staying here after they are finished. She says that just looking at only the numbers of people seeking a profession in medicine is not a true indicator of the number of actual doctors we will have here in the US in the next 5-10 years.

Last edited by Frank S; 05-24-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 PM
The unions were nothing but "useful idiots" (an old Lenin term) for Obama.

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA6FPFCG1

Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Guys, this has been coming down the pike since way before Obamanation.

All the physicians in our family have been hunkering down for several years with the rising cost of insurance, the advent of big conglomerates taking over hospitalization, etc., etc.

I don't think you can place the blame on the mules/donkeys/jackazzes (pick'yer poison). They haven't helped the situation, but then again the pachyderms weren't providing much help either.

Quick Reply: Dcotor Shortage