The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

how large of a hole do I need for a roller fairlead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how large of a hole do I need for a roller fairlead?

The title is pretty descriptive. I am almost done with my winch install, but I need to route the cable through, and mount the roller fairlead to the front bumper (as well as reinforce the bumper from the back side for the added pull).

How large of a hole do I need to properly route the cable through the fairlead?

Also, any suggestions for making the upright cuts for the hole?

I was thinking drilling corner holes like you would in wood, and a metal cutting jig saw blade, slow and steady...

Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think simply place it infront of the bumper and get a measurment that way? Id check over at pirate or something, maybe google it, any offroad site, even a jeep site where there are alot of people with winch bumper builds would be much more beneficial then over here. I know full size bronco has a few builds floating around too

Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The hole needs to be slightly larger than the opening on the fairlead.
You don't want the cable to chaff on the bumper as it winds up on the spool.

As for the end cuts, why not just use a cheap holesaw? that way you have nice clean ends on the hole.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
The hole needs to be slightly larger than the opening on the fairlead.
You don't want the cable to chaff on the bumper as it winds up on the spool.
About what I was thinking...

As for the end cuts, why not just use a cheap holesaw? that way you have nice clean ends on the hole.
Because the manager of my local Harbor Freight hasn't restocked, and I have totally thrashed my HF hole saws on Hardipanel...

Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by rclark12
I would think simply place it infront of the bumper and get a measurment that way? Id check over at pirate or something, maybe google it, any offroad site, even a jeep site where there are alot of people with winch bumper builds would be much more beneficial then over here. I know full size bronco has a few builds floating around too
I did check Pirate4x4, no real help there. There is a guy on the Dodge Truck Forum that did exactly what I am trying to do, except he welded up his winch carrier out of square tubing (big, bulky monstrocity). His sig line says he totalled the truck and has since bought a Super Duty. I can't find his name anywhere on any Ford truck forum...

The problem is, the guys that are building winch bumpers, don't seem to be talking about fairlead hole size, but rather welding methods.... And the Jeep guys can just bolt the winch channel mount to the exposed frame rails and bolt the fairlead directly to the channel, then go have a beer...

The idea came to me that the cable will only ride on the insides of the rollers, and so the opening just needs to be inside of the peaks of the roller. I figure make the hole roller center to roller center squared and we are good to go. That should provide sufficient clearance to keep the cable from ever coming in contact with the bumper itself.

I figure on making the horizontal cuts with the angle grinder and cutoff wheel.

The verticals will be started with a drill bit, and made with a metal cutting jig saw blade such as THESE from Home Depot.

With any luck my little POS Skil jig saw will die in the process and I will FINALLY have an excuse to upgrade to the Bosch I have been wanting for years.

Last edited by dbhost; 10-03-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: how large of a hole do I need for a roller fairlead?