The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

Best/Better Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best/Better Coilover

I have a 6" Pro Comp lift with the ES9000 rear shocks and im trying to change my shocks(front and rear)to something a little more offroad. I am thinking of going with fox or king shocks/coilovers, but i don't wanna pay for them, does anyone have any ideas for a different shock/coilover??

Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 AM
No one yet

Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 AM
SEARCH.

Bilstein seems to be a favorite.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

fabtech.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I've heard that the dirtlogic's are way better than pro comp's mx series but they are both cookie cutter products.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:40 PM
try FOA coilovers they are good and can be less expensive than king or fox.

Id definitely get the upgraded FOA's.

Not 100% sure that you will beable to find something from them for the F150 but id take a look.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the fabtech dirt logics are like the bottom portion of the upper echelon in the coilover shock world, if that makes sense...

Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by minimonster17
the fabtech dirt logics are like the bottom portion of the upper echelon in the coilover shock world, if that makes sense...
so in other words they are a pretty good shock???

Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by onelildude
so in other words they are a pretty good shock???
they are decent but theres better.

King, Fox, FOA, id rate before fabtech

now on FOA their base series coilovers arent much but their upgraded coilovers are a great product at an amazing price.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
X2 oon FOA if you want to save some $$$ and get a decent rebuildable shock.

Now question is.. Your pro comp lift is not gonna take the abuse of heavy offroading. The better shocks will help. Just run a smooth body in the rear. like a 8in travel or so.

Fox makes the fabtech shocks, just with differnt internal seals/valving/ect..

Dont forget Sway-A-Way Racerunners.

It all depends on what you want, and how crazy your gonna get, Do you really need a resi with the shock, Doubt it, you wont be seeing high temps with street and light off-road. That will drop prices. Chances are your not even gonna be using the shock through all its travel.

You will be happy with FOA, Great customer service, still small company. And you can upgrade to billet ends, viton seals, or just go with the base.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by a7x_nocturnal
X2 oon FOA if you want to save some $$$ and get a decent rebuildable shock.

Now question is.. Your pro comp lift is not gonna take the abuse of heavy offroading. The better shocks will help. Just run a smooth body in the rear. like a 8in travel or so.

Fox makes the fabtech shocks, just with differnt internal seals/valving/ect..

Dont forget Sway-A-Way Racerunners.

It all depends on what you want, and how crazy your gonna get, Do you really need a resi with the shock, Doubt it, you wont be seeing high temps with street and light off-road. That will drop prices. Chances are your not even gonna be using the shock through all its travel.

You will be happy with FOA, Great customer service, still small company. And you can upgrade to billet ends, viton seals, or just go with the base.
thanks for the help and i will really check out the FOA's but more than likely if i don't like what i see i will go with Fox. What's a Sway-a-way??

Old 04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Sway-A-Way makes off road shocks..under the Race Runner name.. Before King shocks there was Kuster.. When Kuster split..King stemed from them, and so did Sway-A-Way/race runner. They are great shocks..right up there with King and Fox, Many race teams use them. I have them for the front of my long travel F150 (in the works).

Old 04-21-2009, 05:51 PM
As far as im concerned i like FOA, Kings and Racerunners over Fox. But ive never been a big fan of fox. In the desert at high speeds they are probably great but here in FL we dont really have much desert racing.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Fox shocks are the nicest looking, but I'd mount a set of Race Runners. They even make a bolt in coil-over for trucks with a 6" drop bracket lift (i.e. Pro Comp, Fabtech, etc).

Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM
See here is the thing

Fox- they have 1 truck shock line.. Well they have race shocks for big $$ teams, but ya.
Race Runners- 1 line of shocks
FOA- 1 line, but you can upgrade to billet end caps, Viton seals ect..for higher temp rating ect..
King- has Pre-run and race series. Pre run series use your normal seals, and race use viton/ better internals.

IMO I would say Fox has the best shocks out there. Though thier rebuild kits are more $$$. Their resi's are a bit bigger=cooler running.

King..Been around the block..Rebuilds are cheap. Cant go wrong.

Race-runner.. look cool with new red caps and black shafts, new bodies as well. An awesome shock. Rebuilds are cheap.

FOA, Economy.. Mild off-road..for now.

Also, little tip..Shock oil....You basic no additive power steering fluid can be used to substitue..same stuff. Ha.

1. FOX
2. KING RACE SERIES
3. Race Runners
4. RADFLO
5. KING Pre-run series
6. Bilstien
7. FOA

But like i said..and 4.2 said.. big difference in going 80 over whoops and jumps, and sterrt/mild off-road. FOA will do just fine, and save you $$$. Still look good.

Quick Reply: Best/Better Coilover