The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

2006 F150 - snow chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 F150 - snow chains

Howdy folks, I was wondering if anyone has solved the problem of trying to put chains on the 2006 F150. This was the first snow-adventure for my new truck and was quite disappointed to find that I couldn't put the chains on without rubbing on the emergency cable. There also appears to be too-little room for chains on the front (I was planning to have chains on all 4 but haven't gotten around to picking up the second set - good thing).

I have driven a 4-runner for 11 years and 600,000 km and have essentially gone just about everywhere - including pushing snow with the bumper. This first trip with the truck has left me wondering about how well it handles in snow country and how dependable it will be.

Given the limitations with the front end - any thoughts on chains on the rear (if the emergency cable can be angled differently) and cables on the front end?

Any help would be great. I would like to head out in snow country with confidence next time around.

Thanks.
Doug.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Do you have 4x4? If so I would just get some better tires... I have been in around 3 feet of snow with no problems. I dont see the need for chains with a 4x4.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by KickinBlue4x4
Do you have 4x4? If so I would just get some better tires... I have been in around 3 feet of snow with no problems. I dont see the need for chains with a 4x4.
Have you looked into cables to see how they fit?
Sometimes they fit in tighter places than chains, and allow you to drive faster.

This of course, depends on where you live, but even with 4x4, I think it is a good idea to have them along. I have studded, siped winter tires, and carry weight in the back (about 600 lbs). Although 99% of the time I have no problem, there have been a couple of times I would have been up the creek had I not had chains with me. Especially in the spring time, where the ice is melting, and very slick (going up a hill).

Old 11-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks KickinBlue4x4 & Akheloce, I have new tires on the truck - BFGoodrich All-terrain T/A KO. I live on the west coast (British Columbia) so snow tires are not really practical but for a few weekends/month I head into the interior mountains for hunting and research. The snow at this time is really wet and turns to ice with the first few passes by other trucks. In fact I have ended up on my *** a few times while getting out of the truck to assess the situation (solid ice). Going up isn't too much of a problem but coming down the hill or having to back up under these conditions isn't great. Often it involves coming down sideways. The biggest concern is the cliffs along the edge of the road. Even 6" of snow could be slippery as hell.

Although, on this trip I only had ~ 200 lbs of weight in the box - I plan to make a few more sand bags to push the weight up to 400-600 lbs.

I'll purchase a set of cables as a secondary option (more room in the front end), but chains have definitely saved my *** a few times.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Doug.

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 - snow chains