The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

onboard air system pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
onboard air system pics

just wanted to post some pics of my air system i installed around 6 months ago, i put a highflow max air 200 psi comressor in the bed mounted tool box, with a in cab power switch and air gauge ran lines to a 11 gal air tank located were my spare tire used to be(had to cut the spare tire carier out) and ran line to the front and rear of the truck for the air conections, works great, takes about 45 min to get to 150 psi and about 15 to 50 psi, works great for running air tools and airing tires up after i have aired down wole thing cost like $200 bucks, takes about 15 min to air from 10 psi to 35 on all 4 38"-15.5" claws

Old 09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it a lot, I am definitely going to get something like that to support air lockers and at the same time to air the tires after airing down. Nice setup, did your 38's not fit the tire carrier? What happens if you have a blowout :X You're kinda SOL

Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I like it a lot, I am definitely going to get something like that to support air lockers and at the same time to air the tires after airing down. Nice setup, did your 38's not fit the tire carrier? What happens if you have a blowout :X You're kinda SOL
38" mdont even come close to fitting in the stock spare tire position, i have a 37" spare that i mount in the bed when i go offroading

Old 09-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigtruck, what size pressure lines did you use. Also, your compressor feeds the tank, and the tank feeds the lines right? On board air is about the biggest *** saver out there. I think it is better than a wench. Not to mention inexspensive....great job

Old 09-15-2005, 09:38 AM
i will have to check on the air line size, will post later when i get off work, yes compresor feeds the tank and then to the front and rear quick disconects

Old 09-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats nice set up

I used to have OBA (onboardair) on my jeep for rockcrawling (sold ) now i m planning to make one for my F150 04 .

Do you have safety value ?? does air compressor fail after long running comppresor ?? Do you use pressure switch ?

I have that same compressor as yours- cheap! 25 bucks so i bought 2 and planning to do "twin" compressor to feed the air tank much quick . i m planning to get 3 gal air tank since my tires are only 31.5 and plan to upgrade to 33-34" in future.

Its much better than POS ARB air compressor and Vair compressor (also cheaper!)

Later!
YOMAN!

Old 09-15-2005, 02:59 PM
the air compressor will stop if it gets to hot and i just have to turn it off and back on, it recomends 45 min and 15 cool off, but it takes about 25 min to fill the 11 gal air tank to 145 psi it wont get any more than that the compressor cant handle it, but it works great better than i thought for how cheap i built it for, no other safty fetures i put a drain valve in the bottom of the tank to release any mosture or if i want to drain the tank

Old 09-16-2005, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by midnight99
Bigtruck, what size pressure lines did you use. Also, your compressor feeds the tank, and the tank feeds the lines right? On board air is about the biggest *** saver out there. I think it is better than a wench. Not to mention inexspensive....great job

Don't know about that one...

Old 09-16-2005, 01:34 PM
i never go wheeling alone i go with people from my 4x4 club so i have never needed a winch always had someone to pull me out(only been stuck twice and it was driver error not the truck) if i was stuck alone i would use my 52" highlift jack as a winch lot cheaper than a real hard mount winch

Old 09-16-2005, 03:20 PM

Well bud, you have the only sub-'04 f150 I have truly envied, I would only change the tires, can't imagine they're very great in the mud, but you know that better than I do. I still don't see how an air compressor can compare to a winch.

Last edited by Josiah; 09-16-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Well bud, you have the only sub-'04 f150 I have truly envied, I would only change the tires, can't imagine they're very great in the mud, but you know that better than I do. I still don't see how an air compressor can compare to a winch.
the MT baya claws are one of the best mud tires out there, the only thing that is better for mud is the boggers, 4x4 and offroad mag did a comparison between 10 of the top agresive mud tires out there and for mud MT baya claws came in second only to the boggers, and in my mudding experience they do great better than any of my other tires i have had, abd for the second part airing down your tires to gain better traction is pretty important for any seruis offroading, thats were the aircompressor comes into play when you are done wheeling and need to go back on the street need to air back up the tires, it is also good for running air tools, blowing things out and whatnot on the trial, in my opinion i need it way more than i need a winch, i use my onboard air everytime i hit the trail

Old 09-17-2005, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigtruck311
...the MT baya claws are one of the best mud tires out there...
http://4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/28358/

I BEG to differ, they are rated #7 out of 9 tires. Not known for their strength in mud. No offense though Bigtruck because your truck is a beast, possibly one of the nicest on the site. And about the airing down, a winch is a sure thing to get you out (for the most part), if you can rely on lowered tire pressure more than you can a winch, well that's your choice, but you'll never catch me saying that.

Completely Caked compared to the other tires.

Last edited by Josiah; 09-17-2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:02 PM
what magazine are you refering to? paterson offroad and 4x4, and offroad adventures all rated it a second place in mud, and i am part of a 20 vehicle offroad club and we have gone threw the mud and have just about every tire in all diffrent sizes on these vehicles, and threw mud the MT claw did the best besides the bogger, and in that pic all he had to do was give it some tire spin and all that mud would just fly off and the lugz would be clean again, it is one of the best self cleaning lug designs out there, find someone with them and have him try to get stuck in the mud these tires do awsome, i have had many many tires on many diffrent offraod rigs and by far these out perform all the tires i have had besides the boggers on mud, this is first hand experience not second hand or what someone told me,also if i do get stuck like i said before i dont need a hard mount winch i use my 52" highlift jack to winch me out works just as well for what i need it for.

Last edited by bigtruck311; 09-17-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigtruck311
what magazine are you refering to? paterson offroad and 4x4, and offroad adventures all rated it a second place in mud, and i am part of a 20 vehicle offroad club and we have gone threw the mud and have just about every tire in all diffrent sizes on these vehicles, and threw mud the MT claw did the best besides the bogger, and in that pic all he had to do was give it some tire spin and all that mud would just fly off and the lugz would be clean again, it is one of the best self cleaning lug designs out there, find someone with them and have him try to get stuck in the mud these tires do awsome, i have had many many tires on many diffrent offraod rigs and by far these out perform all the tires i have had besides the boggers on mud, this is first hand experience not second hand or what someone told me,also if i do get stuck like i said before i dont need a hard mount winch i use my 52" highlift jack to winch me out works just as well for what i need it for.
That is Paterson Offroad...they rated the tire 7 out of 9 tires, thats not very well, and thats mud competition. Not to be a ***** but I don't believe you've tested the tires they did, all in the same mud pit. If you look on that website I linked you to, they are all ranked with numbers on the sides of the tires (indicating placement). Where did you get your information?

Take care bud.

Quick Reply: onboard air system pics