The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

# of times You repaired your truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
# of times You repaired your truck

Just wondering how many times people had to repair stuff on their truck after off roading, I think I spend more on repairs than the fun is worth.

Old 01-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Sounds like you need to be more carefull.

The only "repairs" I have had to do is buff out some scratches on my paint.

What exactly have you broken???

Old 01-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Im with dcovell on this one just buffing out scratches.

Old 01-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Entirely too much! Got mine stuck in a pit along side a creek bed last year and had to leave it over night it the rain. Needless to say when I got back the next morning with adequate machinery to pull me out (Full size Bronco paired with another F150), the water had risen quite a bit and I had water standing about 3 inches deep in my floor. That was nasty sh*t. I drove it on home and changed all my fluids, but it was too late for the transmission. $1000 for a rebuild. The interior......well, I had to pull the seats and carpet. Very time consuming. I have a big a** dent, more like a hole, in my tailgate from the same trip where someone's cheap strap broke and sent the hook flying right into me. Lucky it hit the tailgate and not the back window. LIVE and LEARN!
It's a 4x4...treat it like one!

Old 01-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Entirely too much! Got mine stuck in a pit along side a creek bed last year and had to leave it over night it the rain. Needless to say when I got back the next morning with adequate machinery to pull me out (Full size Bronco paired with another F150), the water had risen quite a bit and I had water standing about 3 inches deep in my floor. That was nasty sh*t. I drove it on home and changed all my fluids, but it was too late for the transmission. $1000 for a rebuild. The interior......well, I had to pull the seats and carpet. Very time consuming. I have a big a** dent, more like a hole, in my tailgate from the same trip where someone's cheap strap broke and sent the hook flying right into me. Lucky it hit the tailgate and not the back window. LIVE and LEARN!
It's a 4x4...treat it like one!

Old 01-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Just about every time I go out I break something. It will be more with the Ranger. Especially after it goes to a FW D44 and either 36" TSL/SX or 37" Boggers.

Old 01-27-2003, 07:57 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Let me see....

Upper rad hose clamp.
Rear diff x3. Finally got a 9.75.
Front brakes.
Seized rear brakes
Clutch because of premature wear from abuse.
Electric fan relays.
Crack in fiberglass bed.
Front valance.
Numerous scratches, but they don't count.
If you don't like fixing it, you are not having enough fun off road.

JMC

Trending Topics

Old 01-28-2003, 02:13 PM
So you've got the crack in the bed as well....you do anything to fix it? It's not so bad when it's dirty, but after I wash my truck it sticks out like a sore thumb. Looks twice as bad b/c my truck is white.

Old 01-28-2003, 02:27 PM
JMC

Blakeford,

Its too cold to do anything about it . i am going to wait till spring to decide what I will do.

JMC

Old 02-02-2003, 05:06 AM
i had a crack in my bed and just couldnt handle it. the bed hit teh cab and cracked the bed. i took it to a body shop and fixed it for around 400. eeehhhh but i had to have it fixed

Old 02-23-2003, 10:25 PM
I got stuck in some nasty mud this weekend. It wasn't really that deep, just really gooey. My buddy couldn't pull me out with his regular cab z-71. We had to call our buddy with a crew cab chevy HD. He jerked me right out of there. I am sure that it was his mud tires that helped him get me out.

When he was pulling me out I started sliding and broke my mirror.

Sucks, but oh well.

Old 02-24-2003, 11:03 AM
I kinda slid into my firends suburban (ABS sucks on sand!!! ) and luckily for me all I have to replace is my passenger side fog light and air dam. So I'm getting a PIAA air dam and PIAA lights. Actually I'm getting an upgrade.

Unfortunatly my friends suburban is gona cost a lot more, my bumper was higher and hit that back of his door so theres some metal work for him. Note to offroaders don't stop suddenly when someones following you...

Old 02-24-2003, 12:31 PM
JMC

dcovell,

Sorry to hear bout your mishap. Leason learned is don't follow too close. When you are off road some times you just have to stop. That is the nature of the beast. Keep enough distance to allow you to stop before hitting the vehicle in front. When the other vehicle is going through a rough spot you should pay attention to his path and choose yours accordingly. If the speed is so great that you risk loosing sight of the vehicle in front then you need a means of communicating such as a CB. It will allow you advise the vehicles behind what is happening up front.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Well actually he stoped because he was doing something REALLLY stupid. He had a guy on his hood (don't ask long story) and he though that he was falling off so he hit his brakes. Then of cource the who physics thing kicked in and the guy on the hood came off the front of the truck and so he really hit his brakes! No one was hurt thank God, just a little dent here and there on the trucks.

Now hopefully they won't do anything that stupid again and if they do I will have to keep my distance way away like where I can't see them.

Quick Reply: # of times You repaired your truck