Rust in rearend/differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rust in rearend/differential

My son has a 1998 Ford F150 Truck that is being denied coverage under EasyCare (part of Ford Motor?) for rust in the rear end housing.

At first they were just saying they don't cover rust and corrosion which to the normal person would mean your hood, door, quarter panels, etc. Then on the second day they said he must have backed into the water when loading/unloading his boat. I don't know if that is true or not, but if it's true and they do rust out for this reason, I'll just have to call in to work everytime it rains and tell my boss that I can't drive my vehicle. The truck has also NOT sit for a long period of time - he drives it everyday.

They have now come back with an offer for us to pay a 1/3, but that's $500.00 and we can purchase one from a parts place ready to go in for $500-$700 - labor, but my dad is a mechanic.

At this point, it's just the principal of the thing.

Has anyone else heard of this or any other reason under normal circumstances this could happen?

I am trying to get as much documentation together to fight these people. Thanks for any assistance you can lend me.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by doodeeCrew
sigh.....take it from a Ford tech....GET RID OF 75W140!!!!!!!!!! This is the worst stuff we have to deal with at dealerships in truck diffs. I have honestly NEVER seen as many differential gear, axle and bearing failures since Ford switched to this crap. The biggest problem with it is that it can't absorb moisture into itself...i'm sure you have pulled covers off of diffs with a couple of years on the oil and it looks kind of rusty. well, it IS rusty! The moisture collects on everything and starts to rust it out. This is the complete truth on the subject-if you don't believe me, talk to any Ford tech who works on trucks that see off road miles. The first thing I did to my SuperCrew was drop that cover and put in some good 'ol 80W90 (and friction modifier, of course) to extend it's life GREATLY. Heads up, y'all.
Taken from: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=78114

Old 05-31-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks.

Is there any documentation to this effect (about the moisture) or someplace else I can check on the Internet, call someone etc.

Old 05-31-2002, 04:08 PM
Me again.

I just called the dealer where the truck is at to get some information and the mechanic who tore the truck down to see what was wrong with it said the oil that came out of the rearend did not look like oil and water. He said it looked more like "clutch shavings" in it.

But the inspector from EasyCare (on their payroll) said it was oil and water?

Go figure. Still fighting.

Old 05-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Honestly, this is the first I'd heard of such a problem. I can't personally offer any further advise on this issue.

I do love to hear about fights with Ford though!!!

Old 05-31-2002, 05:52 PM
did he buy it new or used? could be one of those from houston when the great flood hit. a buddy and i ran into one,pulled the dip stick from the tranny and there was rust on it. when we said something about and went back a couple of days later,they had changed the dip with another truck. we took down the vin # and ran it and it came back as a salvage out of conroe (a suburb north of houston),just a thought

Old 06-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Suspended for Violation of Vendor Rules
rschoof.....this is like a lot of other FoMoCo issues I've run into as a dealer shop foreman......Ford is aware of the problem, off the record. But on the record, they won't admit to a problem because that would be admitting fault. The best I can tell you is that a regional operations manager told me, personally, that the rusty diffs had the moisture sealed inside them when they were built by Sterling and shipped to the truck plants. So the moisture had a lot of time to collect and rust on inside parts. Typically the victims are axle seal and bearing surfaces and case side bearings. It's a crappy situation not unlike piston-slappin' 5.4's......is Ford aware of it? Of course. Will they admit a problem? Never!!!! They just chalk it up to short-skirt pistons and aggressive spark timing. Good Luck.

Old 06-04-2002, 02:58 PM
Saga continues. But I did find out for the first 33,000 miles the truck was in Dexter Michigan which would account for the rust.

Have also seen the so called water contiminated grease/oil and it is not milky, but orangeish (due to the rust) I have a sample at home in a jar because I will continue to fight this issue.

Right now they are still denying to cover to fix the truck.

I hope doodledee was not suspended for telling me the truth. It would hurt the whole concept of free speech and the Internet.

Old 06-04-2002, 06:01 PM
It really was a good idea to keep a jar of the fluid.You should send it off and have an analysis done on it.This will either confirm that there is water in it or disprove it.Hopefully they will fix the truck under warranty if the analysis shows no water in it.

I put a nice shiny chrome diff cover on my y2k superduty 4x4 today and I did actually see the old gear oil had some rust in it.I bought the truck used and it has 60K on it.I figured it would be a good idea to change the fluid and I got the cover on ebay for 15 bucks.I kinda killed two birds with one stone.I really think everyone should change the gear oil at 35,000 mile intervals regargless of what ford says. It is my opinion that if I had not changed the fluid that the limited slip would have failed sooner or later.........

Old 06-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Any ideas of where/how I can get that analyzed?

Thanks for all of ya'lls help. This has really helped me.

Quick Reply: Rust in rearend/differential