Excessive differential shavings???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessive differential shavings???

Had my oil service done today, with 23K miles on the truck. There was an unGodly clatter when I started the truck this morning. In fact, it never went away completely. Still a small amount is noticeable... Could this be the Piston slap problem showing Up???

My other big problem, is the Excessive amount of shavings in the rear differential. The fluid was really nasty... Looks like the bearings are shot... Has anyone come across this problem with their '01 ? It looked brand new at my last service, 3500 miles ago.

I took it by the dealer, and the service rep said it was normal for these trucks. BS !!! I have seen normal wear on a rear diff, and this isn't the case. My Lube shop even mentioned to be careful, that the service rep would say this. He has had a few customers have the rearend replaced, completely. (A new Supercab and a new Lightning)

Any advice, before going to the dealer on Monday?

Thanks, R1968

Old 05-18-2002, 02:58 AM
Question

Is the diff. making any noise? Did You see any signs of water in the diff.? Did you see any metal chunks on the fill plug? Small amounts of grey paste (on the magnet) are normal. If You found chunks--this may allude to a future problem.

Old 05-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Excessive shavings, cont'd...

No, there were not any chunks on the plug. There was an excessive amount of shavings, though. The gear oil wasn't brown, it was BLACK, from the amount of shavings in the fluid.

I have noticed a whining noise at around 40-45 mph, in the city. I just thought it was different street conditions, and pavement textures. It has been doing this for about 6-8 months. I hear it, when I have the stereo off. I just thought it was the tires humming on the pavement.

Also, the Pinion Seal is leaking. Not drastically, but it wasn't there last oil service.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I am taking it to the shop on Monday.

R1968

PS. I have been using this Texaco Xpress Lube, for three years now. Used to do all servicing myself, but then Uncle Sam moved me from TX to MS. The owner of the Xpress Lube, is a fellow Texan, so he takes real good care of me. On my '93 GMC I had prior to my '01, he would let me look at anything he found on it. So, I know this is recent, within the last service interval.

Also, my wife is from Terre Haute. She isn't looking forward to the heat and humidity down here in MS.

Last edited by Ranchero1968; 05-18-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:47 PM
Ranchero, You certainly have a diff. problem. A diff. leak usually indicates one of two things. Contamination is working from the inside of diff. or contamination is working from the outside of the diff. Or, an external force (such as a driveshaft problem) made the pinion leak.

You may want to get your driveshaft checked for trueness & balance, after you get the diff. fixed.

Old 05-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Get an oil sample kit and have your mechanic draw a sample for you.

Have him look at the wear pattern of the ring gear -- for an indication of abnormal alignment.

Post your lube sample results and we can compare the findings against what Eaton/Dana uses for heavy-duty axle lube sample tests -- perhaps it will indicate something.

Are you 'hot-rodding' your truck (pulling 'hole-shots' with a manual tranny)?

Lastly: what is your definition of 'excessive amount of shavings'?

Old 05-18-2002, 09:22 PM
Y2K

No Hole shots. I'm getting to old for that. LOL...

I drive it normally, back and forth to work, and a trip of about 700 miles once every few months.

I have the 4R70W trans. (AOD) My Lube owner showed me the diff plug, and a sample of the lube. It was Gray/Black, and was a heavy/sludgy texture. If it were one of the aircraft I work on, It would be a full rebuild.
It was definitely contaminated. This has happened within the last 3500 miles.

I guess I will have to be nice, and play Mr. Nice Guy when I take it to the dealer. I'll just wait and see what their Mechanic says.

Later, R1968

Old 05-18-2002, 09:31 PM
I smell foul-play.

If you haven't overheated it (long up-hill grades at high-temp, heavy GCW); and you haven't sucked in water (submerged it during boat launching), then there's nothing in the axle that would produce a discoloration as described.

Old 05-18-2002, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Y2K 7700 4x4
[B]I smell foul-play.

It is possible if you have a limited slip rear what you are seeing is the friction modifier.

Old 05-19-2002, 09:04 AM
Randy

The service rep told me the same thing, when I dropped by to make an appointment this past Friday.

I did tow my '68 Ranchero, when I had around 4K miles, but that was 20K miles ago.

I personally do not think it is the Friction Modifiers. I have had other limited slip diff's in my vehicles, both GM and FORD. This is the first time I've ever seen this amount of shavings and dark color.

Anyway, why is the Pinion seal leaking?

I have not touched the Salt Water we have in MS, with this truck.

R1968

Last edited by Ranchero1968; 05-19-2002 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:50 PM
Unhappy

Ranchero 1968,

My 98 had the same thing at 58,000. Had to replace the LS. Went with an Auburn unit. About $500 installed. Tech said Fords have a real problem with their LS wearing our very early. Good Luck.

WarEagle

Old 05-20-2002, 02:01 PM
WarEagle

Thanks...

That is exactly what the Lube Shop Owner, where I do business stated. As before, he has also had 2 other customers with '01s have the same problem. A SuperCrew and a Lightning.

I can understand a lil' wear, at 23.8K, but these shavings were almost like slivers.

She goes to the shop in the morning. I'll hope for the best.

Did you pay for the Auburn swap completely, or did a FORD dealer install it for you. $500 doesn't sound too terribly bad. What I mean, it could have been alot worse, monatarily, that is.

R1968

Old 05-20-2002, 02:47 PM
Ranchero1998,

I was out of warrenty so the shop that put in my 4.10's did the work. Do it quickly before your ring and pinion are worn to much by the filings. I noticed a whine, had the fluid changed, they saw the fillings. Good luck.

WarEagle

Old 05-20-2002, 05:21 PM
Interesting thread, for what it is worth I just spent $1,100 to have my rear end rebuilt. For months I had noticed a whinning sound from the rear but just turned up the radio!! It got so loud I decided to take it in to a private mechanic, yep, gear and pinion really wore out. He said the fluid was full of water. I do launch a boat quite regularly, must have submerged the rear end at one time or another. He suggested that I change the fluid once a year.
Very expensive repair but it is now quite again.
Live and learn I guess!!!

Old 05-21-2002, 10:42 AM
I just returned from the dealer, and did not get the answers I wanted.
I don't want any work done, that isn't necessary. But, I do not want them taking the cheap route, either. Letting something go, if it is getting close, to being bad...

I spoke with the Mechanic, and he stated "the shavings were normal wear", which I still find it hard to believe. I asked if he took a sample from the bottom of the Diff? He stated, " No I did not, but I will do that". Then, he asks me "Does the rear end make any noise while driving?" My answer was Yes! "At about 42-45 mph, there is a humm while foot is on accelerator. When I let off, it goes away." A short pause from him, then he states " that sounds normal for these trucks".

Any way, the pinion seal should be in this afternoon. When I take it back in, I will ask what is causing the seal to leak, all of a sudden. And, I will ask again for the mechanic to pull a sample of the fluid.

Wish me luck, Guys and Gals...

R1968

Last edited by Ranchero1968; 05-21-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:52 PM
F250 Differential, in an F150, from Factory...

Just returned from the Dealer. The seal came in this afternoon, and Mechanic had it about half an hour.

The seal was the incorrect seal for my Diff. They want to know if the truck was a special order/build.

Longer story short; looks like I have an F250 Diff, instead of the F150 Differential.

Anyone know the difference in the sizes? The window sticker says it's a 3.55 LS. See my Sig for truck options. One thing for sure, it is a heck of alot bigger, than a Ford 9".

R1968

Quick Reply: Excessive differential shavings???