4.30 gears and Powertrax installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 07:33 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 4.30 gears and Powertrax installed

It's done, there in and I have driven 120miles since install. First the down side. The Powertrax is choppy when accelerating into a corner when cold. This seems to go away after the rear warms up. In all fairness the break in period is 500 miles.
The gears do raise the rpm and you can notice a little bit more engine noise because of this. Also all motions are amplified (shifting, off throttle then back on, ect) not bad but noticable. Its too soon to comment on the fuel economy but I'm sure it will decrease.

That said this mod is an absolute DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially if you have the 4.6. The change is one of those that only comes with a major modification like a blower or high performance heads and headders. You get a true 20% improvement in off line and acceleration performance (more if you have smaller then 3.55's like I had).
With two wheels locked togeather (and I can break both loose easily) you launch SO NICE... I actually experiance axle wrap for the first time since having this truck.

So for those who have been watching this post, this is a TWO THUMBS UP MODIFICATION.

Have fun...

Old 03-10-2002, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear everything is done and going well so far. Now everytime you take off I am sure there is a big grin on your face. I would say that the choppy feeling will go away as break in occurs. You also have to remember with a locked axle you are going to feel some roughness. I can't wait till the day when I can change gears just got other problems I want solved first.

Old 03-10-2002, 10:35 PM
WLF
Just to clarify. The choppyness that I feel is only when turning from a standstill under power when cold. I have never felt or heard anything while on the roll even thru S turns and when making a turn at an intersection. The Tracklock just feels like my LS did.

Last edited by WLF; 03-11-2002 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:52 PM
wlf,

glad to hear your good news. if you would, give me your impressions on the powertraxx in about a month. thanks again, Rich.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:06 PM
just curios to see how many rpms you have at 55 or 70 mph.

Old 03-11-2002, 07:50 PM
WLF
Just an interesting titbit. Today I jacked up the rear and tested to be sure the Powertrax was installed correctly. There is a testing sequence you do to see if it is properly working. During the test I realized something about this locker, when in a turn, the outside wheel remains locked. It is the inside wheel that is unlocked. Since the weight is also being transfered to the outside wheel, this is ideal.
NICE Design.......Still testing...

2000black5.4,
I don't have a tach yet but will soon and I will let you know.

Last edited by WLF; 03-11-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:14 PM
Thanks

that would be great I was just wondering because iwas looking into getting 4:56 and was worried it would be to much gear since i have just a little larger than stock tires.

I was thinking 4:30 might be the way to go.

Old 03-12-2002, 01:42 PM
WLF
If you have the 8.8 the 4.56 gears require some other changes to the rear to accomidate them. Also, the 4.30 has the engine turning pritty good. I think 4.56 may be uncomfortable. Lock out the OD and drive like that for a couple of days and you begin to get the feel of the 4.30's, not quite but close. Also I am having trouble getting the speedo right. Follow that post as well. If you have post 99 all you need is a chip reburn. Pre 99 is proving to be difficult.
Last night had a guy try to block me out from a merge (two lanes to one) in rice burner. My truck jumped so fast it actually shocked me. Felt real good...

Old 03-12-2002, 02:04 PM
the 5.4 engines come with 9.75 rearend so I may not have any problems.

as far as turning of the OD i never can notice much of a difference when I drive. it seems to have a quicker response but not as much power.

Old 03-13-2002, 09:32 PM
WLF
Called Powertrax about the choppyness of the locking diff today and found out something very interesting. I thought the power was transfered to the outside wheel in a turn, I was wrong (second time in my life, thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong) anyway, the outside wheel is disingaged and the inside wheel then is the drive wheel. What was happening to me is the inside wheel is loosing traction when I accelerate from a dead stop into a turn. As soon as the outside wheel starts turning faster then the inside it disingages. Then the inside wheel looses traction and catches up with the outside wheel and the outside wheel reingages. Imagine this happening several times real fast and you understand the cause of the choppyness. This never happens any other time and I don't even know I have the locker around town untill I launch from a light.
So today I go real easy on the gas when I turn from a stop and no choppyness. Then I get home and load some old wood into the back of the truck and take the load to the dump. With the x-tra wt in the back no choppyness.
The neat thing is this locker will not let one wheel spin freely.

I will tell you I am very happy with this package and after one tank of gas it looks like around town milage is not decreased significantly if at all.
Anyone who drives a lot of highway milage would probably not want to go above 4.10's. Besides, don't want too many of you around with what I've got.
See ya around, I'll be the one with the big smile on my face....

Old 03-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Do you have a phone # for PowerTrax?

Old 03-14-2002, 02:16 PM
WLF
Heres the web page. You can find the phone number there.
http://www.powertrax.com/

Old 03-14-2002, 02:26 PM
I'm just bummed I don't have mine in yet. It took five weeks to get here and then when it did, I couldn't find time to put it in. How depressing. I'll finally find time the last week of March during Spring Break. I can't wait

Old 03-14-2002, 11:12 PM
when i said $1300, I meant for EVERYTHING (New L/S Carrier, Gears, Oil and additive, And Labor.

Would anyone like to post there rpms at 70?
Maybe some Gas mileage too.

I think i might just go for the change!
Having a hard time making up my mind!
Bigguy

Old 03-18-2002, 09:20 AM
WLF
Well I had quite a weekend. Put 360miles (per Mapquest) on it sat. (went to pick up a new Windsor short block ) and you will be surprised that my milage has improved. Yes you read it right my milage has IMPROVED.
My usual for a full tank of fuel is 310- 320 miles in mixed driving. I have gotten as much as 350 when all highway. This trip was split between 200 miles @ 30-35mph and a 160 miles @ 70mph. Also was on the Penn Turnpike and crossed the mountains twice. I got 390 miles on the odometer when the fuel light came on. Correcting for the speedometer (12% off at this time) I got 343 miles combined driving thru the mountains.

Just don't know!!!

Quick Reply: 4.30 gears and Powertrax installed