Anyone switched to a 9" rear axle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Anyone switched to a 9" rear axle?

With all the hot-rodded trucks out there,someone must have at least considered doing this. But has anyone actually done it? Just curious to see if it has any advantages over the factory axle.
I have been thinking about doing this off and on since I bought my truck. Is the factory rear axle better than a well built 9"?
Thinking about a positraction with 4:10 gears,,lemme know,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 03-13-2001, 01:38 PM
Exclamation

That is a little high,but you can get it done the way you want. ,,,98

------------------
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Euro taillights
Viper alarm

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 03-13-2001, 01:41 PM
Exclamation

DOH!!

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 03-13-2001).]

Old 03-13-2001, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think that it would be too much trouble to change your rear diff to a 9". You hart to look at all the costs. First would be finding the diff and having it modified to accept your current shocks and mounting hardware. Second you will probably haft to at least have your rear drive shaft yoke modified to be able to bolt up, if not have the drive shaft its self modified. And the third thing I can think of is you need to figure out the rear ABS sensor mounted in your current diff housing. Not to mention that there is always the chance that if you use a junk yard diff that the width might not be tha same as your current diff.

But if you are truely bent on doing the swap just remember that with enough money anything is possiable.

Old 03-13-2001, 06:47 PM
Cool

edit

[This message has been edited by max mitchell (edited 03-14-2001).]

Old 03-13-2001, 07:23 PM
Unhappy

Oh well,it was just a thought. Sounds like too much trouble for minimal gain ,,,98

------------------
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Euro taillights
Viper alarm

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 03-13-2001, 07:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... 98SCREAMER : The FORD 9" rearend has'nt been manufactured by FORD's since the late 70's. The only real advantage to switching to one would be the removeable center section. A ton easier to change gears with. I have a severly built up custom chrome moly/sheet moly 9" reaend in my PRO-STREET RANGER. 41-spline STRANGE strip axles, STRANGE spool, RICHMOND 4.30 gears, STRANGE aluminum center section casing, BAER disc brakes, etc... This 9" cost me $7500.00(CAN) to build and will hold 2000h.p! If you are that intent on switching rearends, then I would suggest to you to look into getting a STERLING 9.75 out of the F-150's with the 5.4. This is the exact same rearend used in the LIGHTNING as well. These rearends have been taking low 12 second passes at the dragstrip with slicks on the LIGHTNINGS with NO failures yet. A couple of SVT guys I talked to at the AUTORAMA told me that the 9.75 rearend is just as strong as the old FORD 9" except it does'nt have a removeble center section.(PIG)It would also come ready to bolt into your truck with the spring perches, shocks, width to fit it. I would think you would have to go PRE "99" because the newer 9.75 rears use a VSS in them and the older trucks use a speedo gear in the tailstock of the tranny. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 03-13-2001, 10:08 PM
Talking

Hey thanks,Neal!
I had thought about that too,if it's good enough for an L,it's good enough for me.

------------------
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Euro taillights
Viper alarm

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 03-14-2001, 12:05 AM
I've been toying with this idea as well. The problem is that Ford doesn't currently make a 9", only 8.8" and 9.75", so you would have to get one out of a pre-1997 truck, then I don't know if it would be worth it. The other option is to have a manufacturer build one for you, like dynatrack or currie. They custom build axles, mostly for off-road use, but that makes them all the stronger. They can put any gears, limited slip/locker, disk brakes, coil springs, whatever you choose. It is highly custom, but it is also VERY expensive. I believe they both charge in the nieghbor hood of $3000. That to me is not worth it.

------------------
2000 Silver F-150 XL Sport
Reg. Cab, Reg. Bed, 4.2L V6, 5-speed, 4x2

mods:
Tailgate lock, Generic bedliner
285/75r16 BFG AT ko (33.1x11.4)
Sony CD player, Blaunpunkt 5.25" speakers
Crimeguard alarm, Power locks
---------------------
Never let your schooling interfere with your education --Mark Twain

Old 03-14-2001, 07:32 PM
Pinion in 9" Ford diff. is too low to work properly in most late model applications. The pinion is much lower (in regards to axle centerline) of 8.8" & 9.75" Ford (Sterling) axle. Not saying a 9" could not be installed & made to work--I would hate to change angle of engine, radiator shroud, etc.--just to say it will work in a late model F-150.
The 9" diff. was designed when Ford was trying to make cars sit lower to the ground. That is why the 9" pinion is actually below the true centerline of the axle assembly.

------------------
1999 Teal Blue F-150 S/C
4.6L, XLT, 3.55 L/S 4x2
Tow pkg., Rhino liner, Engine block heater & Swiss hard toneau cover. Premium sound
255/75 R16 Generals-owl
This" is Mama's pride"

Old 03-14-2001, 09:52 PM
Neal, does the Sterling 9.75 axle assy from the 5.4 f-150's include the Expeditions rear assy's also? Or are they somewhat different w/ air suspension?

Old 03-15-2001, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... BOSS LARIAT : FORD's adapted the NAVIGATOR/EXPEDITION 9.75 into the F-150 a few years ago. I would think it would bolt right in. If it has air suspension there is probably just some exter brackets on the housing for the air equipment. I'm just guessing on this one. The LIGHTNING uses the EXPEDITION's rear sway bar, that I know.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Quick Reply: Anyone switched to a 9" rear axle?