Rear differential leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rear differential leak

Noticed some oil drops in the driveway where the rear of my truck sits so decided to investigate. The differential is leaking a good amount of fluid from the front of the unit. Looks like there is a white plastic disc in front of a seal right there where the driveshaft hooks up. Since truck only has 9,000 miles under it I will be taking it in to be looked at. Is this a seal that is going to require taking apart the rear differential to get at to repair? From looking at it it seems like they have to do it to get a seal mounted in there.
This just started in the last week or two and the bottom of the truck is covered from the spray from the leak while driving.
Reason I ask is local dealer is slooowwwww on getting things in and out when you drop them off and I need to plan on being without the truck for a day or two if it requires dis-assembly. Guess I will schedule oil change and other warranty stuff at the same time
Thanks guys

------------------
2000 F150 SC, XLT, Bright Red/Silver 4x2,Auto, 5.4, 3.55LS,CD, sliding rear window, Tow package,Captains chairs,Remote Entry, Ford Bedliner, molded splash guards,Stainless step bars and bed rails.
FM40 single in/Single out the side.Clear Corners just installed.Pretty much stock now but waiting for performance mods to include FIPK,,Superchip, new wheels/tires and new audio.

Old 01-15-2001, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this must be a pretty common problem. Had it repaired at 10000 miles. Bad crush seal. Dealer had it a couple of days and forgot to put the additive in, so dragged my tires in all of the turns for a couple of weeks until I took it back.

------------------
'01 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat, 5.4, 3.55 LS Amazon Green/Gold, med parchment, Moonroof, captains, 6cd, skids, slider, tow, cab steps, Pendaliner, Advance Bed Cover.

Old 01-15-2001, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

cpafay,
Called the dealer and they said it needs a seal put in without even looking at it so it must be a frequent problem. On the other hand they said they have to check to see it wasn`t damaged by a road hazard to be sure it is covered under warranty. I smell a run around coming already. Looks like I may be taking it to dealer I bought it from 50min away instead of local one 10 min away. Local one IS also owned by the dealer I purchased it from but unless you got it off their lot at point of sale you are second rate in their service logs.

------------------
2000 F150 SC, XLT, Bright Red/Silver 4x2,Auto, 5.4, 3.55LS,CD, sliding rear window, Tow package,Captains chairs,Remote Entry, Ford Bedliner, molded splash guards,Stainless step bars and bed rails.
FM40 single in/Single out the side.Clear Corners just installed.Pretty much stock now but waiting for performance mods to include FIPK,,Superchip, new wheels/tires and new audio.

[This message has been edited by 2000FordStyle (edited 01-15-2001).]

Old 01-18-2001, 01:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Mine has been having a "slow leak" for awhile now. A dealer in Birmingham said it was,you guessed it,"normal". I'm taking it to my dealer here in Houston,they
are known for taking care of there customers. It was a pint and a half low when it was checked awhile back. The place I was at refilled til I could get the fluid changed,which I have done already,
From what I've heard on here it is a normal occurence . Anyways,hope they don't run you around too much.,,,98

p.s.: I'm still enjoying the euro-tails,I have yet to find some led bulbs,though

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!
Had to take the picture out,it was way too out of date,,,,98

Quick Reply: Rear differential leak