I want my Limited slip!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I want my Limited slip!

I made the classic mistake of passing on LS for my 99 150 w/ 5.4L and am paying dearly now soooooo......

Does anyone know of a reputable shop in Atlanta area (preferably the south side) that will install one. My local dealer is asking $800 but they are acting like this is extremely unusual and not giving me a very good feeling.

Old 09-01-2001, 08:35 PM
How funny, I'm in the same boat. I found a Auburn LS in town. I called a reputable shop and they told me about 3-4 hours labor and supplies (oil, friction modifier, etc) for a estimate of $300.00. I visit the shop two days later and chat with the same guy and NOW he tells me it's about 6 hours labor with supplies totaling $500.00! I gave this guy a "kiss my a$$" look and walked out.

Old 09-02-2001, 10:20 AM
Jupiterak,

It would appear that you should be out of or close to out of warranty, why don't you do the work yourself? I would have attempted, but was way under warranty so felt more comfortable with the Ford dealership doing it. If you don't think you can do it (as did I) grab a friend that has knowledge in that area.

There used to be posts by people who had done the Auburn swap themselves, and really the hardest part as I understand it was getting that ABS ring off an on....

Just a suggestion....

Old 09-02-2001, 03:51 PM
cpadpl- Actually. that's what my friend suggested to me. So it looks like we'll be tackling this job ourselves somtime soon. My only real complaint is finding a tool rental shop who carries the specialty tools to do the job. Everyone pretty much only carries the basic tools for engine, brake and suspension jobs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-02-2001, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Jupiterak
cpadpl- Actually. that's what my friend suggested to me. So it looks like we'll be tackling this job ourselves somtime soon. My only real complaint is finding a tool rental shop who carries the specialty tools to do the job. Everyone pretty much only carries the basic tools for engine, brake and suspension jobs. Thanks for the suggestion.
My only other suggestion is to post an info request from people who have done this, and they can give you some pointers. For instance, I remember reading that one person actually used an oven to heat the ABS excitor ring so that it would snap onto the Auburn, and another just used a rubber mallet to get off and back on.

And I do think I remember that Auburn requires non-synethic lube.....

Quick Reply: I want my Limited slip!