Is Amsoil worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't pointing fingers or necessarily trying to call out this thread, just in general on the world wide web. In case you thought I was.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Oh come on! The only ones who get sensitive are the amsoil guys. I know I personally could give a crap. People will use what they will use. But it sure is fun to pick with them. Kinda like the post above with regards to Amsoil being first in synthetics. They claim to be first since 1972 and bash Mobil 1 for using the title but had none of there snake oil certified till the late 90's. I find it amusing.
Just another example of a pyramid marketing company's lies!

Mobil 1 is the world's largest synthetic oil manufacturer! Scamsoil doesn't come close!

Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont use amsoil for my motor, too expensive. i use motorcraft oil and filter.

i only use amsoil in my differentials.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a real problem with people bashing a company and their products even to the extent of twisting the brand name (Scamsoil) on a public forum. Not one bit of tangible proof has been offered to the claims of the poster. I also think this should be put too rest and everyone involved make their purchasing decisions based on personal needs and to listen to tangible information pertaining to any particular product.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
I have a real problem with people bashing a company and their products even to the extent of twisting the brand name (Scamsoil) on a public forum. Not one bit of tangible proof has been offered to the claims of the poster.
Statements like this do not help put it to rest, it further instigates the disagreement, which is why my thread ended up with 4 pages of BS. Let them call it whatever they want, it's their opinion that's it's "scamsoil". Like you said it's a PUBLIC forum where people voice their opinion as they please, just like you did above. You shouldn't get so worked up, if in your opinion amsoil is the best product, things like scamsoil shouldn't bother you if you really believe it's the best. It should make you think, man if they only knew how good amsoil is and what they are missing out on, too bad for them!

Sam please don't think this is a direct bash towards you, and I have no intentions for what I wrote to offend or insult you in any way, just a different perspective on the situation. After all it's just my "opinion". Lol

Old 01-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I bet you mail order a ton of stuff that you don't mind waiting on the UPS guy for, why is oil such an issue? What's the longest you've ever had to wait on an Amsoil order...2, maybe 3 days?

Which oil are you using? What does M1 EP cost per quart? XL 5W20 is $7.65 or $5.85 if you're a preferred customer and is good for 10,000 miles. I won't recommend anything as you have your own tolerance level, but I go based on mileage with no regards for time...but that's just me.
You can't recommend anything for my use, where I live and the mileage I put on puts me in the severe use zone, so I change on time limit only. Cost of the oil or the wait is not an issue for me in any case. Sometimes I just like to make a change and I am considering going the M1 route for a while. Everything else on my truck is Amsoil and will remain that way, except for the Rear End (Have a true-trac , 80-90 dino in there).

Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Amsoil....Amway....whatever!! We all have brand preference. I know while watching Indy car racing 15 years ago I saw several cases of 20/50 Mobil 1 synthetic in the penzoil cars garage. That was the writing on the wall for me way back then. Why do people prefer Nike over New Balance? New balance is a better and cheaper shoe but some would rather keep up with the jones's then be smart. Colby Bryant doesn't where new balance... thats why. Mobil 1 and castrol synthetic have one more races and been proven far longer and more convincingly than all other oils combined...my humble opinion.. I could be wrong But I doubt it. So all this being said...Buy what floats your boat but keep in mind that all that money being blown on crap could of gotten you blown and you wouldn't be so cranky.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Takeda
Just another example of a pyramid marketing company's lies!

Mobil 1 is the world's largest synthetic oil manufacturer! Scamsoil doesn't come close!
API=Big oil+government

It was formed after WW1 and the breakup of Standard Oil....to keep the oil industry on a level playing field....

One of the biggest lobbyist in Washington

I applaud the little guy who gets enough money together to get their product certified....certification testing starts at $125k

Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 gt f150
Amsoil....Amway....whatever!! We all have brand preference. I know while watching Indy car racing 15 years ago I saw several cases of 20/50 Mobil 1 synthetic in the penzoil cars garage. That was the writing on the wall for me way back then. Why do people prefer Nike over New Balance? New balance is a better and cheaper shoe but some would rather keep up with the jones's then be smart. Colby Bryant doesn't where new balance... thats why. Mobil 1 and castrol synthetic have one more races and been proven far longer and more convincingly than all other oils combined...my humble opinion.. I could be wrong But I doubt it. So all this being said...Buy what floats your boat but keep in mind that all that money being blown on crap could of gotten you blown and you wouldn't be so cranky.
Land/Range Rover uses castrol now....its formulated for them because they wanted 15k oil change intervals....only available from the dealership....

Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by BlackOut07
Statements like this do not help put it to rest, it further instigates the disagreement, which is why my thread ended up with 4 pages of BS. Let them call it whatever they want, it's their opinion that's it's "scamsoil". Like you said it's a PUBLIC forum where people voice their opinion as they please, just like you did above. You shouldn't get so worked up, if in your opinion amsoil is the best product, things like scamsoil shouldn't bother you if you really believe it's the best. It should make you think, man if they only knew how good amsoil is and what they are missing out on, too bad for them!

Sam please don't think this is a direct bash towards you, and I have no intentions for what I wrote to offend or insult you in any way, just a different perspective on the situation. After all it's just my "opinion". Lol

I don't ! Like you said..everyone has their opinion, me included, If someone has an opinion on a subject..say it, then let it go. Just because someone has a negative opinion on something I don't feel it's necessary to get on a soapbox and preach it as gospel to everyone.......everybody has a different opinion, what works for me might not work for someone else. Enough said on this mess...Have a great day 'Blackout07' !!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am using amsoil in my trucks transmission and in the engine of my Mach I. I dunno if its worth it. Give me about 5 more years. If I dont have to rebuild the tranny its woth it. The car I change the oil in it once a year I only put about 2,000 miles a year on it and I ordered the transmission fluid. Figured I try there oil in the car.
In my truck I like changine the oil twice a year. I dont like extended changes I'd rather do it no more then 6000 miles.. No mater what the oil is. bottom line is I have no idea if its worth it. When it comes to the transmission though I want to get everything I can out of it so in the chance that Amsoil will help with that I thought I'd try it.. My truck has 135,000 on its original trans so in about 4-5 years when it has about 160-176 if it dosent need a rebuild I'll change it with Amsoil again..

Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm quite sure I'll hate myself for getting into this thread but there's so much wrong here. To the OP, if you want extended oil changes, Amsoil Signature Series is the best in the game providing you have a naturally aspirated engine. Use their oil filter and trend the engine via analysis per Amsoil recommendations. There is little to be gained using it if you are an average driver. It will not reduce wear, will not yield more fuel mileage, will not add one mile to the life of your engine, will not make you the envy of every busty woman. It has one mission, extended oil changes, nothing more.

Amsoil gets kicked in the teeth commonly because their advertising is slimmy at best. They are not the first in synthetics, never were, never will, mostly because they make NOTHING. They are BLENDERS which means they buy product from MAKERS and blend it together. They get their current Viscom base oils from Mobil, the additive package isn't theirs either and comes from Lubrizol. As far as their claims to being first, Amtuzio wasn't even born when the first synthetics were made in 1928 by Standard of California. They were not the first to mass produce it either as Gulf Oil was the first to make it for the Feds for tanks and other combat equipment needing extended oil changes in the early 1950's. They make extraordinary claims that are pure BS like their 4 ball bearing test. Just where in your engine do you have ball bearings in the lube system? Need I add to that or do I need to explain what the Timkin test is better known as the Amsoil 4 ball bearing test? The product is for the most part good, the claims and the advertising.....jeez, the advertising...

Someone stated about Mobil One as factory fill. Sorry, that's wrong. Just because it has a Mobil fill cap doesn't mean it comes from the factory with it. Mobil supplies auto makers with the fill caps for free as advertising. Of those I remember in the post, Mercedes factory fill is Wolf and has been for over 30 years. Porsche is Elf and has been forever. Cadillac is Shell as well as the Corvette and has been for the last 5 years. I don't remember the others-sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up.

So to the OP, if you want extended oil changes and will send in samples for analysis as per Amsoil and don't mind spending the money for the testing to trend the engine, use their filter, it's a good way to keep the truck on the road. Otherwise, it's a gimmick for most drivers and can be expensive.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:57 PM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you really want to find out how well a particular oil performs, check out the UOA's of it.

How well does the TBN hold up, wear metals, stay in viscosity grade, with short trip driving, etc. There is a message board out there dedicated to this subject.

You'll find top shelf synthetics, base 3 and base 4 oils do a fine job. Some can go many miles though, over the others, if extended drain intervals are your thing.

You can go to Wally World and find a Mobil One EP jug for 30 and get a Moblil filter for 10 on sale at Advanced, or you get Amsoil for 8 a quart with a higher TBN ( +2), and Pennzoil Ultra at Wally Mart for 27 a jug.

All do fine with wear, but some hold up better for longer runs between changes.

Is Amsoil's 12.5 TBN worth 8 bucks over Mobil One's TBN of 10.5 @ 6 ?

Maybe

Old 01-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Someone stated about Mobil One as factory fill. Sorry, that's wrong. Just because it has a Mobil fill cap doesn't mean it comes from the factory with it. Mobil supplies auto makers with the fill caps for free as advertising. Of those I remember in the post, Mercedes factory fill is Wolf and has been for over 30 years. Porsche is Elf and has been forever. Cadillac is Shell as well as the Corvette and has been for the last 5 years. I don't remember the others-sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up.
I think you are wrong on the factory fills. Unlike Scamsoil, you can believe Exxon Mobil's website:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...d_Mobil_1.aspx

Old 01-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Labnerd

Oh really????? Perhaps you are right and Mobil is blatantly lying on their official page. I doubt it though. And what about oil caps? I've never seen an oil cap with a brand on it.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Mercedes%20AMG

Last edited by twinskrewd; 01-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Amsoil worth the price?