AWD harley davidson to 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD harley davidson to 2wd

Hey guys would anything be hurt if i pull the front drive shaft on my truck. its the awd model Harley Davidson. truck gets 12mpg on its best days.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will get some cel's and reduced power mode, but i don't think it would hurt to try.

I believe there are sensors that won't like it. I know the AWD drives can't just remove the DS for a dyno run.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
That's not going to improve the gas mileage.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
That's not going to improve the gas mileage.
x2

sounds like the truck needs some maintenance

Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I don't have a CD on the HD AWD transfer case handy but there's something different in the AWD transfer case that allows the use of AWD on hard pavement by allowing front and rear driveshafts to turn independently to allow for tire pressure differences, loading, and turns .... while transmitting power to both. Kind of like a differential with clutches like a LS rear, except the front and rear driveshafts are in place of axle shafts. Your HD AWD has front IWEs like my FX4, but your's are capped off at the vac ports so they stay engaged allways.

If you drop the front drive shaft, I don't believe you will be able to drive very far as it would be much like that rear axle if one wheel is on ice ..... the clutches that are in there will rapidly wear at best I think.

At worst, you may find the clutches (such as they are) "shot" and the truck may be unable to move under it's own power.

When you bought the HD AWD, you made a choice away from 2 / 4WD. In some vehicles of other makes, there was/is a "lock" lever or means to lock the frt and rr driveshafts outputs at the TC together, I don't know if the HD has that? Somebody with a better aquaintence with this AWD transfer case may chime in.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
As to 12 mpg, what kind of driving you do (city versus highway or mix) ...
... as well as your "habits" (heavy footed take off's kill mileage ... and even CC is not as good as a steady trained foot on the gas pedal) ...
... and your vehicle state of tune (plugs, etc) ...
... and aftermarket equipement (like heavy 35" rubber under a lift kit is a mileage killer with or without gear swaps as is that 1200 pounds of tools and stuff in the bed that some carry).

Quick Reply: AWD harley davidson to 2wd