Detroit Gearless Locker

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detroit Gearless Locker

Has anybody installed or seen installed a Detroit Gearless locker? I'm thinking about putting one in the front diff. of my '97 F-150. Have you heard anything about this device, good or bad? I drive mostly highway to and from work everyday, but like to hit the mountains in the weekend. Nothing major, just finding some out of the way trout streams!!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve

Old 10-17-2000, 08:13 PM
Have you found the need for a locked or limited-slip diff in the front axle of your truck?

If so, under what conditions -- and how did you work around the need?

If not, what would you hope to gain by such a modificaition?

------------------
Y2K™ Jim

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 10-17-2000, 09:04 PM
A friend of a friend had a 96 f250 snowplow special with ls front. Turned out it would not steer on ice or light snow. Probably was ok with a plow which he didn't have. He got rid of it.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 10-18-2000, 09:23 AM
Y2K:
Well, the last time I went "4-wheelin'" intentionally, I sunk the truck up to its axles. Not fun, as I'd had the truck for about 2 months at the time. In trying to remove the truck, I noticed that only the two wheels on the right side were spinning. (Didn't know much about off-roading at the time, and even if I had a winch, I was in the middle of a field with nothing to winch to.) I feel that in that situation, I may have had a chance to get out if I could get all four wheels spinning. I'm thinking about an ARB locker, but the price and ease of installation has me thinking about the Gearless as well. I've also found out from 4WheelParts Wholesalers that they don't make a gearless locker for the new Ford 8.8 front diff.
As far as how I worked around the need, well that's an interesting story I'll tell sometime. It involved pigs, coon dogs a Ford tractor and about 2 miles of walking.

Side note: Is there anyone out there from Georgia that knows of some public (and maybe private?) lands that we can take the truck out to and have some fun?

Old 10-18-2000, 06:04 PM
Question

Why do to put it up front? If both the rightside tires were spinning, you don't have a LS in the rear, so why not put it in the rear were it will help in 4x4 and 4x2?

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4X4 Off Road 5.4L Reg. Cab 3.55

Performance Enhancemets:
K&N, WMS Velocity Tube, and Gibson Sweptside...

Audio Enhancements:
All of the above, plus
Sony C7000X HU, Cerwin-Vega SS2502 components(Front), and Blaupunkt PCst573s(Rear)

(For now)

Old 10-18-2000, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Mountaineerfan. I see that with bad traction on the rear axle you were in deep doo doo.

I wouldn't consider LS in the front except for nearly full-time off-roading -- which usually means no front LS.

Had you considered a Detroit Locker for the rear axle? Usually, merely having the front wheels carrying their own is good enough for streetable vehicles; and you need at least one axle guaranteed traction (hence the locker for the rear) so that you don't again see the scenario described.

Did you have an LS in your truck when you tried to bury it?

Old 10-18-2000, 10:03 PM
i have a comment on the front locker issue...if you are going to just go out and play in the mud and on trails, a good LS should do the trick..if not, consider the ARB..the locker in the front makes steering very hard, trust me, as kids we used to weld the spider gears together in everything, (lincoln locker)...you will find yourself backing up and retrying turns constantly...even off-road this is a pain, especially on tight trails...imo i would put the locker in the rear and run that awhile, if not enough, consider adding the LS to the front, still not enough, go ARB, i know they are costly, but you will like the results much better...cheers, Rich.

------------------
-1999 F-150 4X4 SC
-4.6, auto
-3.55 gears
-Westin chrome nerf bars
-dual straight pipes
-hikerdadrich@aol.com

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2000, 09:12 AM
Talking

Thanks for the help! Yes, I do have the LS in the rear, and yes, I was in deep DooDoo! Do you think if I had applied the brakes lightly, then the LS would have kicked in??

Old 10-19-2000, 06:27 PM
Cool

That or just letting off the gas and letting the clutched re-engage would help.

Quick Reply: Detroit Gearless Locker