Gears, gears and more gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxwell881
Yeah, believe it or not, Yukon makes a 4.11 setup for these rear ends. I myself have been looking at the Motive gears, they just seem to be more priced in my range. Also I will be buying a master install kit, and I am looking for the Timkin bearings, again that is what I have been told are the best by more than one source. If I am not mistaken, any of the master install kits that are sold for this specific rear end should work with any of the ring and pinion mfg's right?
My 4.56s are Motive. I've only got a few hundred miles on them, so I can't really say how good they are yet. I would imagine that any install kit would work, but I don't know for sure. It would make sense that any ring and pinion would have to identical to be able to work. The shop that installed my gears ordered the gears and install kits for the front and rear, so I don't know exactly what install kit they got. I would do more research about what install kits will work with which gears. It would only take a tiny difference to blow a bearing out or something like that

Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Well I thank you guys for helping me in my decision. I will go with 4.10's made by Motive most likely, and a master install kit with Timkin bearings.

Hey Mossy, you are going thru the break in procedure right now, correct? Are you going to have to change the diff oil after the 500 miles or so?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Well I thank you guys for helping me in my decision. I will go with 4.10's made by Motive most likely, and a master install kit with Timkin bearings.

Hey Mossy, you are going thru the break in procedure right now, correct? Are you going to have to change the diff oil after the 500 miles or so?
Yes. After the first 500 miles you're supposed to change the oil and clean out the little metal shavings that came off the new gears when they were breaking in

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just turned over 1,600 miles on my 4.56's yesterday. I reprogrammed the truck to correct the speedo when I left the shop, but I left all the other settings on stock. I drove it easy for the first 300 miles and then did a 3 hour round trip on the freeway and was a little heavier on the gas. I got around to changing the fluid at 750 miles and put the performance tune back in it. I love the way my truck feels now and could care less about the loss in highway MPG. With my 4.56's I am running about 2800 RPMs @ 70-75 MPH.

This was when I changed the fluid @ 750 miles:

Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Jerhelo, that is exactly what I am talking about. I do not mind a little extra rpm. I don't think that it is going to hurt these motors at all. They are turds out of the hole, and I think that we can all agree on that. I just want to get a little pickup in the get go, if you know what I mean....... What rpm do you think that I will be at running at 70 mph with 4.10's, or 4.11's? And does anyone know the difference between these two gear sets? They sure seem very close to each other.
I really can't say. I have not even had my truck over 50 yet as I am breaking them in. I only drive it about 1,000 miles a year so even the breakin is taking me forever. I can tell you that my truck at 50 runs very low RPM, lower than I expected at 50, I am sure that at 70 or 80 it will be higher than it was stock but can't imagine it being that much worse. According to the math I am 6% under(lower geared) than factory. My truck has a little more acceleration I think. I am very happy but kind of wish that I had gone with 4.88's as I know that I am going to either a 37 or 38" tire shortly...

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Randyl9ll
I just turned over 1,600 miles on my 4.56's yesterday. I reprogrammed the truck to correct the speedo when I left the shop, but I left all the other settings on stock. I drove it easy for the first 300 miles and then did a 3 hour round trip on the freeway and was a little heavier on the gas. I got around to changing the fluid at 750 miles and put the performance tune back in it. I love the way my truck feels now and could care less about the loss in highway MPG. With my 4.56's I am running about 2800 RPMs @ 70-75 MPH.

This was when I changed the fluid @ 750 miles:

Just curious, why did not use the programmer when you got the gears put in. I am breaking mine in right now, I installed my superchip programer but I am being very easy on the gas pedal. I am at 300 miles currently and have not had the truck over 50mph. Did someone tell you not to install the power programmer?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by jerhelo
Just curious, why did not use the programmer when you got the gears put in. I am breaking mine in right now, I installed my superchip programer but I am being very easy on the gas pedal. I am at 300 miles currently and have not had the truck over 50mph. Did someone tell you not to install the power programmer?
At first I left it out so I wouldn't be as tempted to hammer down on the gas. I had the gears installed in Livermore and had to drive across the Altamont Pass back to Modesto. That was the first time I have ever rode the right hand lane all the way through the pass.

A couple days after having them done I made a comment on another forum about wanting to put my performance tune back in it and glc (the same one from here) recommended that I wait until after the 500 mile fluid change to put it back in, so I waited. I have a SuperChips Flashpaq 1815 and I had to set my tire size way wrong to get my speedo correct. With the correct tire size entered into the programmer my speedo was off by about 8 MPH @ 60.

Edit: I am running stock sized tires at the moment, I am going back to a larger tire on my next set.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Randyl9ll
At first I left it out so I wouldn't be as tempted to hammer down on the gas. I had the gears installed in Livermore and had to drive across the Altamont Pass back to Modesto. That was the first time I have ever rode the right hand lane all the way through the pass.

A couple days after having them done I made a comment on another forum about wanting to put my performance tune back in it and glc (the same one from here) recommended that I wait until after the 500 mile fluid change to put it back in, so I waited. I have a SuperChips Flashpaq 1815 and I had to set my tire size way wrong to get my speedo correct. With the correct tire size entered into the programmer my speedo was off by about 8 MPH @ 60.

Edit: I am running stock sized tires at the moment, I am going back to a larger tire on my next set.
I have my programmer installed. I agree that it is hard to keep your foot out of the gas especially now that the gears are done. I am at 300 miles currently, I plan to drive the truck a little this weekend and would like to get past the 500 mile mark by next week sometime...I have been keeping it no higher than about 55mph....

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I went through this exact dilemma a few months ago. There is actually a difference between the 4.10 and 4.11 and has something to do with number of pinion teeth and ring gear teeth being different between the two sets but I don't remember exactly what it was/is. I believe I saw the information on this site though.

My tire size is close to yours, but I believe mine are a little "taller". I ended up going with Yukon 4.11s from 3.55. My 70 mph RPM went from around 1750 (apprx.) to about 2000 (apprx.), so not bad at all. Unfortunately I have not been around long enough to put a lot of miles on them, so I can't speak to that portion. I think the 4.11s are good compromise for the driving I do and sounds like they would do you good as well.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Jetpilot, what was your exprerience like when you first drove the truck with the new gears? Did it feel like it pulls harder, quicker off the line?

In your opinion, would 4.30's be to much, because from what you are saying about your RPM's, mine will be a touch higher due to the shorter tires. I wonder if I would just be asking to much of the motor and trans with my current setup to go with 4.30's.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Do they make 4.30 gears for the 9.75 rear end?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jetpilot2
I went through this exact dilemma a few months ago. There is actually a difference between the 4.10 and 4.11 and has something to do with number of pinion teeth and ring gear teeth being different between the two sets but I don't remember exactly what it was/is. I believe I saw the information on this site though.

My tire size is close to yours, but I believe mine are a little "taller". I ended up going with Yukon 4.11s from 3.55. My 70 mph RPM went from around 1750 (apprx.) to about 2000 (apprx.), so not bad at all. Unfortunately I have not been around long enough to put a lot of miles on them, so I can't speak to that portion. I think the 4.11s are good compromise for the driving I do and sounds like they would do you good as well.
A 4.10 has 41 teeth on the ring gear and 10 teeth on the pinion. A 4.11 has 37 teeth on the ring gear and 9 on the pinion. I learned that on Trucks!

Maxwell- I think 4.30 would be good to go. My tires are 32" and I am running 4.56 gears and love them. I am geared a hair too low for my tire size, but when I go back to 33's it will be right where I want it. With 31" tires I would think 4.30 would be my choice. I am not worried about gas mileage one bit so I would rather get worse mileage on the freeway and have more low end and better city driving. If you drive a good amount on the freeways I would go with 4.10/4.11, and if most of your driving is city I would go with 4.30.
My experience with my new gears are that is does feel more powerful and seems to pull harder. My top speed dropped quite a bit, but I don't care about that it isn't a high speed racing truck.

IMO you won't be asking too much of your engine/trans at all. Like I said, I have 32" tires and 4.56- My truck doesn't have to work as hard getting moving off the line with 4.56 as it did with 3.55. When I had the 3.55 going up grades was a work out on the truck and my trans temps would climb up to around 210° by the time I would make it to the top and able to pull over to let it cool. Now with the 4.56 I make it up the same grade in similar weather conditions and the temps don't break 200°.

Check out the table on this link it gives you an estimate of RPM's @ 65MPH with different ratio/tire sizes:
http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

I know it has 4.27 and not 4.30 but it will give you an idea.

Originally Posted by 429 boss mustan
Do they make 4.30 gears for the 9.75 rear end?
On a quick search at RingPinion.com I didn't see them. It jumps from 4.11 to 4.56. That might make the decision easy for him.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 PM
429 Boss and Randy, Motive makes a 4.30 ring and pinion set, and is sold thru Summit and Jaws Gear and a number of other sellers.

I am leaning towards the 4.30's, I just don't want them to be to much. I do drive about 25 miles every day, each way. 14 hwy, and about 11 city. So looking at that my drive is not that bad. On they hwy I do set cruise control at about 70 mph and that is mostly on the way into work. I know that the 4.30's would be awesome in town, and probably be nice to take to the track every so often.

I just did a calculation on Randy's Ring and Pinion and I am getting 2284 RPM @ 70 mph with 4.30's and my current tire setup. That does not sound to bad considering right now at the same speed with the 3.55's I am at 1900 RPM.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM
429 Boss and Randy, Motive makes a 4.30 ring and pinion set, and is sold thru Summit and Jaws Gear and a number of other sellers.

I am leaning towards the 4.30's, I just don't want them to be to much. I do drive about 25 miles every day, each way. 14 hwy, and about 11 city. So looking at that my drive is not that bad. On they hwy I do set cruise control at about 70 mph and that is mostly on the way into work. I know that the 4.30's would be awesome in town, and probably be nice to take to the track every so often.

I just did a calculation on Randy's Ring and Pinion and I am getting 2284 RPM @ 70 mph with 4.30's and my current tire setup. That does not sound to bad considering right now at the same speed with the 3.55's I am at 1900 RPM.
I say go for it... but you might try hitting up 4.6 Punisher and ask why he thinks the 4.30's were a colossal waste of money. (He said it in a post on another forum)

Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM

Hmm I'm trying to decide btw 4.10s or 4.30. Fx2, 5.4, and 305/40r22s.

Quick Reply: Gears, gears and more gears